• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99 XJ Sagging Door...

kee

NAXJA Forum User
I haven't had time to look at it but suddenly the drivers door on my '99 XJ is sagging and has to be lifted to get it to close.

I found a TSB and tons of information on a problem with the older models but I don't know if the same info applies to the '99. Any suggestions? I'll be pulling it apart to figure out the problem this weekend but would like to know if I should have some parts on order before I dig into. It's a daily driver so I'd hate to tear it apart and then have to wait 2 or 3 days for parts...

its prob. the brass bushing. mine fell out once. lift the door and look at the hinges, you'll know if the bushing came out.

Look at the lower hinge. Open the door all the way, and try to lift it, while feeling where it is loose. My '92 has a loose lower, but our '95 had the upper come loose from the cowl. Took off the fender, drove to body shop, exchanged $$ for weld, drove home. Cost $40 because I did the labor, took just a few minutes. If it's loose, you'll have to replace it, no way to tighten that I know of.

its prob. the brass bushing. mine fell out once. lift the door and look at the hinges, you'll know if the bushing came out.

If by chance the bushing came out where do I find a replacement? Is that a dealer only part or something from the autopart store?

Can anyone tell me if the 97 and newers have the problem with the welds on the hinge seperating like the older ones? I couldn't find a TSB or too many other people saying they're having problems...

I was walking thru autozone the other day and noticed they have a pretty good selection of bushings and hinge pins in the help section. I had to do the wifes ZJ a few months ago, new pins and bushings, would have been nice if Jeep had used the same unbolt the hinges design on the XJ that they used on the ZJ... 4 bolts and the door and hinges are off and workable. Those bushings for the ZJ I got from a supplier on E bay down in florida, $14 for two sets of bushings and pins. I also noticed that the zone carries those door check pins that work their way out and vanish into some other dimension...

If you don't mind a side question in regard to the door check mechanism... The door check in my 97 driver door creeks like it's a rusted old mail Jeep no matter how much grease I slather on it and stuff into the hole, it still creeks like crazy. The thing is like new, with no corrosion or anything, and I can't figure out how to quiet the thing down short of tearing into the door to investigate. Any Ideas?

We now return to our regularly scheduled door hinge thread... :)

If you don't mind a side question in regard to the door check mechanism... The door check in my 97 driver door creeks like it's a rusted old mail Jeep no matter how much grease I slather on it and stuff into the hole, it still creeks like crazy. The thing is like new, with no corrosion or anything, and I can't figure out how to quiet the thing down short of tearing into the door to investigate. Any Ideas?

We now return to our regularly scheduled door hinge thread... :)

You can buy the whole new assembly, it's not expensive, mine made most of the noise from the roll pin I stuck in there instead of the correct ping, the roll pin also moved up and down, the tapered and shouldered one that should be in there does not.

You can buy the whole new assembly, it's not expensive, mine made most of the noise from the roll pin I stuck in there instead of the correct ping, the roll pin also moved up and down, the tapered and shouldered one that should be in there does not.

Thanks, sounds like my roll pin is shot... I'll be replacing the whole thing then as soon as it get annoying enough to push me over the edge... and the weather is nicer :)

Can anyone tell me if the 97 and newers have the problem with the welds on the hinge seperating like the older ones? I couldn't find a TSB...

A well known SoCal Jeep God pointed out to me that my 98 has the already beefed up/improved hinges from the factory. He had done the repair a few times. Not 100% sure, but I'd bet your 97 has the better set.
I do have one of the last 96's made, I'll check in the morning to see what it has.

Back