• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DNR and Donated Hours

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
A little update for those who are interested:

Tracey and I attended the DNR meeting earlier this week and learned several things that I thought would be worth passing on. It also brought a few things to my attention that I would like to ask of the group.

1. Walker Valley Lower Mainline Trail changes. Many people have complained about the changes to the Lower Mainline Trail (it is relatively "paved" and much easier than it used to be) not just from NAXJA but other groups also. As I have told many people before there were several reasons for these changes and I think several of them should be expressed to the rest of the group. First it only affects a short portion of the "Lower Mainline Trail" the rest of it (lower and upper sections) are still left relatively untouched. Second, it provides an easier way of getting up to the "Skills" area that will be completed next spring time. Third (and maybe most important) is that the bike trails are extremely crouded on the "lower" areas of Walker and it provides a way of distributing the bikes on the upper and lower bike trails (since I don't ride, I had no idea about this and they hope it makes a drastic difference for this reason). It is possible that in the future there will be other changes that could help provide more "challenges" in the rest of Lower Mainline all in time. PS. we are calling this "modified" part of Lower Mainline the "Connector" now (it connects the Lower part of Walker with the Upper part of Walker.

2. Volunteer hours. So far NAXJA has donated over 350 hours of time to Walker Valley since May of this year:party:. That is something that we should be very proud of. All of the trails look much cleaner, Expressway and Upper Mainline are in much better shape from water damage and errosion, the rockface has a safe bypass, and we have a much bigger presence at the DNR.

3. Future Volunteer hours. I will continue to put work parties together (and coordinate work parties up at Walker Valley with other groups) and keep track, record and submit out hours. It is very little work and I think it is valuable to keeping our areas open, and even creating new areas like Reiter Trails (fingers crossed). I know that there are several of you who go to Reiter on a regular basis. I suspect if while you were there you took just a few minutes to pick up some trash along the way, record or fix any issues you find on trails, or dumped vehicles, etc we can take credit for those hours as well and we would probably easily double our total contribution to the DNR (which is how the DNR gets funding and how these areas get to stay open!!) I would like to find an easy way for us to document these hours and I need your guys input. If you PM or e-mail me your hours and info I can do it, but I was wondering if someone else might like to take over this roll for Reiter? I can introduce you to the correct people, give you the correct paperwork and show you what to do. It is very easy and provides a huge benefit to NAXJA, the DNR and Reiter Trails. Who is up for it? Maybe Supsa? Joe? Other?

4. Portland folks. I want to formally challenge you to look into what you can do similarly down in the Portland area (TSF or other) to get credit for donating hours, clean ups, etc. I know that some of you have done some of this on the surface but I wonder if there isn't more we can do to help protect these areas without really even doing much different than what we currently do (pick up garbage on the trails, treat the trails with respect, etc). A few little changes to our behavior (recording hours and work) and you might find that it is easy to donate several hundred hours also.

Any comments appreciated.
Please let me know if you are interested in taking on Reiter.

I would like to openly thank Karl for his help in getting us into this!!!!:clap:
I would also like to openly thank Tracey for his support with this!!!!
Michael

That is very cool. I think that is a huge deal. Its something you guys and the NWC should capitolize on. Thats more than just sending BLue Ribbon or Tread Lightly you membership dues.

I think it would be great to do something like this in the portland area. Especially at TSF.. or even better, the Goat Mountain range. I think its just a matter of time before Johnny Law cracks down. The times I have been up there I have come across large areas of crap and trash.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would love to start the process. I think we could make more of an impact at Goat and possibly once improvement happens, get a more formalized wheeling area setup such as TSF.

I will see what I can track down.

In case it got lost in there: We can earn credit hours for wheelin' the trails responsibly!!! If you collect trash/ report problems ( abandoned cars etc.) , or just notice drainage problems and let the DNR know we can get hours credit.

2. The other clubs in the area who were at the meeting expressed appreciation for the work that has been done a NAXJA and there were some inquiries about having our people join their groups for work parties and over night camping at Walker. GOOD DEEDS ARE APPRECIATED !! And ensure the future of the sport!

3. The middle section of Lower Mainline is now being refered to as the Lower to Upper Valley Connector. They understood our disappointment with the change but need to address the motorcycle communities concerns and really want to get 4x4s to the Skills area when it is completed. As the timber sale was in progress the time was ripe for the modification. They do hope to allow the upper part of Lower Mainline revert to a more rugged state as it is now out of the timber sale phase.

Good stuff, glad putting in some hours is helping! Michael, any work party you (or anyone, really) set-up, I will always try my best to be a part of...thanks for setting stuff up.

~Scott

I'm thinking we could have a page here on NAXJA where people can log their hours. That makes the most sense, doesn't it? I apologize for never making my way up there. It's far and been a hell of a year with totaling a rig and buying/fixing a house. Thanks gents for representing up north!

I would be more than happy to put in my time and my rig to use up at Walker whenever help is needed. Had a blast up there last weekend and definately look forward to going back up.

-Lyle

I'm thinking we could have a page here on NAXJA where people can log their hours. That makes the most sense, doesn't it?

We can do something like this, just e-mailing me the info from each trip.

However, What I am really looking for is for someone else to step up and take on another area. It expands our capabilities and impact significantly with very little effort and time.

Who wants to make it happen?!?!?!

Michael

Ya that's not fair to you Michael. I was picturing a fully automated website where people would type in their names, where they were, what trails were maintained/in what fashion. Maybe something including garbage detail, trail repair, downed tree removal, yada. Then hours included of course. Is anyone any good with page design?

Ya that's not fair to you Michael. I was picturing a fully automated website where people would type in their names, where they were, what trails were maintained/in what fashion. Maybe something including garbage detail, trail repair, downed tree removal, yada. Then hours included of course. Is anyone any good with page design?

Paul, I think this is a great idea. The only problem I see is that people inherantly don't put the information in. This is why I think we need 1 person to take the responsibility to collect this information from people. It really isn't difficult or time consuming.

Michael

Back