• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 drum brake ?

jelrod

NAXJA Forum User
Did 97's come with 9" or 10" drums? If it's a matter of measuring would I just measure the inner diameter of the drum itself? Sorry, I know this seems like a stupid question. Just don't want to buy the wrong parts.

Thanks,
Jason

Measure the inner diameter of the drum itself... Or,

Use the search function to find out they are mostly 9 inch drums that year... then,

Measure the inner diameter of the drum itself

Real simple, no disassembly required.

look at the angle the brake line threads into a wheel cylinder

if the brake line is angled in at 45 degrees , its 10 inch drums

if the line is centered in the cylinder, and sticks out at 90 degrees, its 9 inch drums

(9 in wheel cyls interchange right and left.
10 in have different right and left cylinders)

Last edited:
Real simple, no disassembly required.

look at the angle the brake line threads into a wheel cylinder

if the brake line is angled in at 45 degrees , its 10 inch drums

if the line is centered in the cylinder, and sticks out at 90 degrees, its 9 inch drums

(9 in wheel cyls interchange right and left.
10 in have different right and left cylinders)

9 inch it is then. Thanks man.

Here is the difference in the sizes. Just so you know that the 10" are the used. The 9" are brand new. I was told when you buy shoes you should get the ones that are not glued together. Like the 9" are. You should get the ones that riveted together. Like the 10" are. Look at the holes. When offroading and using them often the glue could come apart with the heat. The brakes won't cool down at slow speeds like it should.
IMG_2388.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

Back