• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Too Much Current Through the Parking Lamp Fuse

swbooking

NAXJA Forum User
Im pulling between 20-25A through the fuse and its only rated for 10A.

I replaced the head lamp switch thinking that it might have gone bad and had a short in it, but that didnt work.

My head lamps themselves do work but the parking lamps and dash lights do not. The brake lamps work as well when the brake is depressed.

Everything will work fine if i put in a 25A fuse but i dont want to run that much current through it when its rated for a 10A fuse.

Anyone have any other ideas? Im sure its a short of some kind but i just cant figure it out. Anything else prone to go bad?

Is your dash light fuse also blowing? The path for the dash lights is from the park fuse, then to the headlight switch (dash light dimmer) then back down to the dash light fuse, then to the dash and other dimmed lights.
If the dashlight fuse isn't blowing also, it does narrow it down some.
I had a short in the harness, between the fuse block and the dash, though your short may be anyplace. I figured out which wire was causing the grief and just cut it out of the system and ran a new wire.
I'd start disconnecting connectors in the headlight and the tail light harness (divide and conquer ) and see when the amperage draw stopped, if the dash light circuit or the headlight switch doesn't seem to be the problem. Meltdowns at the headlight switch connector seem fairly common.
Some of the odder shorts I've traced down were, the door sill screws screwed right through the harness, the headlight harness connector on the fender well corroded beyond bad. Various rub throughs and chaffs on the wires from the sheet metal near the headlight buckets, pretty much the same where the wires in the rear go through the sheet metal to the taillights. The wiring by the headlight buckets and the taillights looks kind of like spaghetti.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, ill check out all those suggestions.

I assumed the dash light and parking lamp fuses was the same... When i pull the fuse it kills power to both.

o6jrkz.png

Wow thank you. That is awesome!

Well found out my problem...

I remembered (cause of reading another post) that on the day everything stopped working, I was cleaning the Jeep and on the rear hatch there were two connectors that were unplugged but seemed that were supposed to be plugged in together.

I unplugged them and now everything works great :D

Ill post a pic of it later.

Back