• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What year is this XJ?

NXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I came about a 4-door XJ that was probably stolen and/or just left behind by its owner.

It has some goodies that I could need, and I'm kinda curious what year it might be. It's either a late Renix or an early HO. I'm hoping the latter, so that it has the 7120 head..

4.0/AW4/242, non-CAD D30, 8-slot grille, power button. Enough cues?

Only 120K miles, and it actually had a sticker in the glove box that said the vehicle was equipped with a rear locker?!

Last edited:
The 10th digit in the VIN is the model year...
If it is a letter, then you are looking at an earlier year:
E=84
F=85
G=86
H=87
J=88
K=89

In 97 they went back to letters:
V=97
W=98
X=99
Y=2000
Z=2001

HEY!!! That must be why they stopped making the XJ!!! They ran out of letters!!!

I wish it was that easy. The hood latch wire was broken off and there was no stickers in the door sill. It did have a cat, though.

What years had the power function for the AW4?

Ah...... No(r)way..... there's no VIN plate visible through the windshield, driver's side at the bottom?

I wish it was that easy. The hood latch wire was broken off and there was no stickers in the door sill. It did have a cat, though.

What years had the power function for the AW4?

I believe those were only on Renix Limited models... Maybe on Laredo too, but I think that option was outed when Chryco upgraded to HO

if it says it has a rear locker it's probally an up-country meaning factory front, t-case, and gas tank skids, 1 inch lift from the factory, a rear locker, and front and rear tow hooks

The #7120 head was used 1991-1995. The Power/Comfort switch was deleted at the end of 1991 or 1992 (I don't recall.) Sounds like we've already got it nailed down to within a couple of years - what more do you want?

IIRC, the CAD disappeared at the end of the 1991MY as well.

But, if you can see the VIN plate through the windscreen, we can really nail that down for you. However, I'm thinking it's a 1992 from the clues given.

The power/comfort was definitely not available in 92 from the research I've done, so my money is on '91.... :D

EDIT: But the 91 DID have the C.A.D. D30, so ??? (it's a swapped axle?)

Go with the VIN... If the 10th digit is a 1 it's a 91, if it's a 2 it's a 92... period

Last edited:
if it says it has a rear locker it's probally an up-country meaning factory front, t-case, and gas tank skids, 1 inch lift from the factory, a rear locker, and front and rear tow hooks
And just for the record, it's not a locker, it's a clutch type limited slip rear differential.

The power/comfort was definitely not available in 92 from the research I've done, so my money is on '91.... :D

EDIT: But the 91 DID have the C.A.D. D30, so ??? (it's a swapped axle?)

Go with the VIN... If the 10th digit is a 1 it's a 91, if it's a 2 it's a 92... period

Sounds like we've got it nailed! Might be a "late" 1991, when they were phasing out that asinine CAD setup.

Oh - and he's saying it came with the NP242 - the 242 never came with CAD, so that explains that.

Yep - sounds like a 1991 then!

Hoho! It was stripped for badging, so no HO badge. Stupid me didn't even thing of the windshield VIN with the car being covered in snow. Will go back and check that for sure.

Oh, and it was more of a Lo-Country than anything else. :)

Now, hmmm... how to get a car without a steering column home?

Back