• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing sunroof -- I need ideas

CharlieMopps

NAXJA Forum User
So my 89 XJ has a sun roof... and it of course leaks. I was looking for idea on what to do to replace it.

Basically, I want to pull it out, and put something else there. But whatever I put there, I want it to look like i meant to do it... not like it was some half arsed patch job. I know you guys have done just about everything so I'm expecting some interesting photos ;-)

Caulk it in with clear sealant and leave it. Only other things I've seen on here are canvas covers that look like they would be good only for the tropics, not Wisconsin. Mine was broke so I pulled the cables up tight and safety wired them in the tightly closed position. Doesn't leak now.

If you really want to remove it!!!! Can you or do you know someone that can weld. If you can or do, remove it and weld in some sheet metal.

Welding in sheet metal is an expensive fix. The panel has to match the curvature of the roof, and welding it up will need a deft touch to prevent warping. It will be expensive.

At the very least a coating of Vaseline will stop a lot of the leaks.

A step tread console and a ring mount for a Mk17 would be different. Kinda open air for up north . . .

If you want to remove the sunroof & patch the hole go to a salvage yard, buy the front section of roof. Trim the sheet metal panel down to fit over the hole with an overlap. Grind the metal on the bottom side of the patch & top side of the roof (has to be clean & free of paint for welding or adhesive to bond properly). At this point you can align, drill & temporarilly screw down the patch so it doesn't move then if you or a friend can weld panels weld it up with small welds a different intervals to avoid warpage. Another alternative if you or a friend is decent at bodywork try the panel bonding adhesive. Mark around the outside of the patch, take the screws out. The adhesive comes in a 2 part tube & a special gun. Put this down like caulk around the inside of the line on the roof, line up & set the patch on top of the adhesive (get a friend to help) use the screws to pull the 2 panels tight. Let this cure then grind around outside edge of patch & use bondo to feather it in. It won't be show quality but should be close enough for what you are looking for. I've been contemplating this to do away with the sunroof on my 90 XJ limited. Get the inside roof panel while at the salvage yard to finish the inside.

If you want to remove the sunroof & patch the hole go to a salvage yard, buy the front section of roof. Trim the sheet metal panel down to fit over the hole with an overlap. Grind the metal on the bottom side of the patch & top side of the roof (has to be clean & free of paint for welding or adhesive to bond properly). At this point you can align, drill & temporarilly screw down the patch so it doesn't move then if you or a friend can weld panels weld it up with small welds a different intervals to avoid warpage. Another alternative if you or a friend is decent at bodywork try the panel bonding adhesive. Mark around the outside of the patch, take the screws out. The adhesive comes in a 2 part tube & a special gun. Put this down like caulk around the inside of the line on the roof, line up & set the patch on top of the adhesive (get a friend to help) use the screws to pull the 2 panels tight. Let this cure then grind around outside edge of patch & use bondo to feather it in. It won't be show quality but should be close enough for what you are looking for. I've been contemplating this to do away with the sunroof on my 90 XJ limited. Get the inside roof panel while at the salvage yard to finish the inside.

Or.. If you aren't a welding/body/painting pro and want fantastic results you could sell your XJ... buy another 89 XJ for $400, buy a case of beer for $15 and sit on the couch... :cheers:

Back