• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Novak NP231/242 Shifter

fubar XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have this or talked to someone who has it in their XJ? It looks like a pretty good set-up, and Novak has been in business a good long while. Interested in any reviews on how much it improves shifting over the stock shifter. It's a little pricey, but if it shifts nicely and more importantly keeps the t-case in gear, it seems worth it.

Here it is:

http://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/kit_sk2x.htm

I've had it in my 2001 XJ with 231 case for a few months now. Nice and easy shifts, and it completely solved my issue of the stock shifter kicking out of 4L.
I recommend!

Yep, definitely works just like it's supposed to. I'm using it on my doubler case now, had it on the 231 for a few years before that.

On an XJ it'll take a little bit of work to make it look right inside. I'll see if I can find a pic of mine when I get home from work.

Interesting fix, looks decent. But if I'm pulling down the old linkage, grinding, welding, and re-drilling the stock shift pivot, sourcing and assembling a new rod and a used Chevy t-case shift plate, that's a bunch of running around and extra labor. If I were hard-up for cash and had a ton of spare time I'd probably go that route, but I like the idea of a bolt-in replacement that I can order online and install in a three-beer timeframe.

Thanks for the input thus far, I'm about 90% sold on this. Probably order it in the next few days. But keep the reviews coming, especially anyone who's had one and didn't like something about it, whether it was install or operation.

I did the Novak linkage on my 91 XJ, and it worked out great. If I were to do it over again, I would rebuild it using the BSFab link, mainly from a cost standpoint.

I got it, it works fine for my intended use:
IMG_1339.jpg

On an XJ it'll take a little bit of work to make it look right inside. I'll see if I can find a pic of mine when I get home from work.

Found it...a little more traditional install. I used another AX15 shift boot.

n24800499_32970776_7848.jpg

n24800499_32970778_8165.jpg

I remembered when I saw this pic...I had to clearance the bracket a little bit to clear a boss on the 231 housing. I had one of the first versions of the kit so they might have fixed it by now; it wasn't a big deal anyway.

n24800499_32970779_8404.jpg

I have the novak shifter on my rubi case. Solved all my problems.

I got it for my AX-5/NP207 combo swap to AX-15/NP231 set up. It has worked great for me so far. However I would recommend replacing the nylock nuts with all metal lock nuts and use thread locker. I have had a problem with the bolts coming loose from the vibration.

Back