• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"no bus" 2001 xj

lugnut428

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys -- Sorry in advance for the long post...

I've been dealing with a problem that I believe is pretty common on our cars....every so often I lose my dash (usually speedo and tach) and the airbag and check engine light come on....also the odometer displays the words "no bus".

From what I've read I'm pretty sure the problem is just a bad connection behind the instrument cluster...I even seem to recall that there was a TSB about this problem and a replacement connector made to replace the faulty original part.

I think though that there is a quick fix for the problem because I've read before that guys just put some dialectric grease on the connectors behind the instruments and that seems to fix the problem.

Now for my question -- I've been looking at the dash and can't find how I get the guage cluster out....I think on the pre-97's (ish) it was just held in place by 4 easly accessible screws....but on my 2001 I can't figure it out. Is there any easy way to access behind the instruments? Or do I have to take apart the entire dash?

If it's a big process, does anyone have any experience on the cost of a dealer fix?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

The dealership is more interested in selling you brand new parts than they are in making simple fixes.

Try this link - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=179282 - the Cherokee is very similar. If you can tell the working end of a screwdriver, you should be able to do this yourself.

Back