• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coolant fill bottle that's NOT a P.O.S.

89XJPIG

NAXJA Forum User
I've already purchased (from the dealership) two new coolant fill bottles for my 89' 4.0 over the last three years. Both have cracked and leaked.

Who sells a fill bottle that's not a cheap p.o.s.?

baxter auto parts sells one that is made out of aluminam...(icant spell)
pm me if they cant find one for you and ill get you the part number... or you can do what i did and buy a part made by meroso ( at baxters) and make you jeep have an open systom.

I believe Moroso has one that is made out of SS or Alum. Only bad part is that you cant really see your level to easily but thats not really a problem.\

EDIT: huh, look at that. In a Cherokee too :D

http://www.markashurst.com/Jeeps/Moroso/

P/N is Moroso 63656

Last edited:
baxter auto parts sells one that is made out of aluminam...(icant spell)
pm me if they cant find one for you and ill get you the part number... or you can do what i did and buy a part made by meroso ( at baxters) and make you jeep have an open systom.

I've read that some have had cooling problems after switching to an open system. Perhaps they used a radiator cap w/ too low of p.s.i. rating for the cooling system? Did you experience this?

I vote for the Macs radiator one. I have one and love it!

http://www.macsradiator.com/replacmentjeepradiatorfilltanks.aspx

Jeep%20tank.JPG

I got mine from rock auto...havnt had any preoblems with it and hell for 25 bucks :dunno:

If you are into saving money, go to the local junkyard and pull the bottle from a mid 90's mid-sized Mopar....it looks different and has a REAL radiator cap instead of a screw-on. You will have to remove your old bottle and the bracket that holds it in place, drill 2 holes in the firewall shelf and mount the new bottle........voila !!.........even has an overflow hose......

Isn't there a pressure difference between the closed system and the open?

The open uses a 16psi cap, I thought the older was lower.

Although I think the older system could handle the higher pressure.

You could grab a Ford bottle too out of a Crown Victoria or Montego or what not (and the Mercury and Lincoln equals too)

Those bottles appear to be damn strong too, looking at the construction of them..

Old system was a 16 pound plastic cap. Pretty hard to find.

Has anyone tried JB Weld on the tanks for a fix?

Changing to the open system isn't hard, new radiator, new heater control, and somehow splicing in a sensor to control the fan. The later model in the t-stat neck does NOT work the same as the older one in the radiator. It will not kick on the e-fan and causes overheating. Both Speedway and Spal sell parts that can make it work.

Your money ahead to find a tank from that Pontiac.

Back