• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chrysler 9.25" rear

tayman

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone here run one of these? I'm thinking about running one, because I have two of them that I can get for free. (Chrysler 9.25" for sale by the way). According to an old pirate thread, it's just under a D60 in strength, with a smaller pumpkin. from some research, I see that they have a 5 on 5" bolt pattern... what would be a good front for this? is there anything stronger than a D44 front that has a 5 on 5" pattern? thanks for the help.

:scottm: thread on the 9.25": http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-31169.html

I think the main reason people don't run them is because of their lack of support in the aftermarket... although, to me they seem to be a decent axle? If you're getting it for free, I'd say sure, give it a go. I think your options for the front will be limited to a 44 or 60, however. Nothing else around available to my knowledge...

yes

arent the new JK D44 fronts a 5x5?

Well... after VERY limited searching, I found 4.88's and a powertrax for the 9.25... so it can't be THAT bad right?

is there such a thing as a D60 front with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern? and I'm guessing the D44 with the 5 on 5 would be from a ford with a 9" in the rear?

IMHO a lot of work for what you already have.... Why replace a C-Clip with a C-Clip type axle? If you are running a 35 then I would say replace it with the 9.25 but if you already have an 8.25 then invest in some nice axles and call it a day. Just my .02.

IMHO a lot of work for what you already have.... Why replace a C-Clip with a C-Clip type axle? If you are running a 35 then I would say replace it with the 9.25 but if you already have an 8.25 then invest in some nice axles and call it a day. Just my .02.

8.8's are c-clip. Look how many people upgrade to that. For an inch bigger ring gear (9.25 over 8.25), bigger pinion, and 31 spline shafts, I'd say it's a worthy upgrade.

From what Ive heard they are just slightly stronger than a 8.25 and have no real bennfits over the 8.25. I know a my friend in a stock v8 dakota shredded a ring gear on a stock 9.25.
Id say if your going to bother with an axle swap either go ez and swap a 8.25 or go all the way and get a 14 bolt.

Since they are 31 spline Id take the 8.8.The 9.25's pumkin look like a "giant" rock magnet!

the 8.8 also has a really low pinion... the pirate guys seem to like them ok, rating it at just under a D60... I"m on a dana 35 right now, so just about anything is an improvement. I'm running 35's, and not planning on ever going over 37's. I actually have a SF 14 bolt in my side yard right now (for sale by the way), but it has a bigger pumpkin than the 9.25 by far.

did you guys take a look at that thread? Someone posted this: http://xj.no-ip.org/axle.html

the 8.8 also has a really low pinion... the pirate guys seem to like the 9.25's ok, rating it at just under a D60... I"m on a dana 35 right now, so just about anything is an improvement. I'm running 35's, and not planning on ever going over 37's (at least on the XJ). I actually have a SF 14 bolt in my side yard right now (for sale by the way), but it has a bigger pumpkin than the 9.25 by far.

did you guys take a look at that thread? Someone posted this: http://xj.no-ip.org/axle.html

If you could get them to accept 35 spline shafts, they'd prob be a worthy upgrade.

Other than that, it's a lot more work for the same shafts as an 8.8

If you could get them to accept 35 spline shafts, they'd prob be a worthy upgrade.

Other than that, it's a lot more work for the same shafts as an 8.8
yeah but don't most ford 8.8s have 28 or 31 spline shafts But if he can get them free I say why not And yes I know moparmaniac is talking about aftermarket axle shafts

Last edited:
yeah but don't most ford 8.8s have 28 or 31 spline shafts But if he can get them free I say why not And yes I know moparmaniac is talking about aftermarket axle shafts

Must be getting your money's worth out of that shovel you bought lol

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back