• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aux Fan compatibility, 89 to 96 XJ.

mjma

NAXJA Forum User
I happened to be right by a salvage yard today with no tools, but knowing that I needed a new aux fan in my 96 XJ, I went in there, borrowed a pair of pliers and came out with what looks to be an aux fan in good working order. I'm pretty sure it came out of an 89. It looks pretty damn similar, the major difference being that there is a ring around the outside of the fan blades on my 96, but it's not there on the 89.

Question: Is this just minor cosmetics (or noise reducing stuff) or are the fans not exactly compatible? Will the 89 have the same cooling capacity as the 96 fan? TIA

The 96 will have 8 curved blades and reportedly flows more air (keeping things cooler) than the 89, which should have 6 straight blades. The 97-01 had 10 s-shaped blades, but you'd have to splice a different connector in place.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

The three fan bodies are interchangeable. The early and mid will plug in easily, the late one needs attention to work. As for changing just the blade? Good question - I never considered it.

Jim

Back