• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High pitched whistle, 2001 XJ

Fred85

NAXJA Forum User
93k AW4

My jeep has developed a high pitched whistle above 1k rpm. It started a few weeks ago, and was at first just an intermittent whistle but its gotten worse in the past week. It sounds very similar to a tea kettle and seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine bay.

I've searched an found recommendations for idler pulleys, intake gaskets, etc. but i think i've convinced myself that its a vacuum leak....

its hard to track down because it won't do it at idle

help?? could my evap canister leak? just a thought.....

its most likely a vaccum leak. start shooting starting fluid in little bursts around your vacuum lines and the fittings on the intake manifold. when you find your leak the rpms will jump up.

still can't track this noise down!!!! argh

i've realized now that it doesn't do it at all in neutral, only in drive........

i'm really close to just taking it to the dealership and letting them have at it

To restate, no noise in neutral at any RPM but when you put in reverse or drive, noise starts at ~1000 RPM whether sitting still or moving?

no noise at all at any rpm while in neutral

while in drive, it starts at about 10-15 mph and above 1k rpm..........its gotten progressively worse over the past month and is quite bad on cold days

Back