• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

push button start

Fidget360

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, my key tumbler got thoroughly mangled and unuseable and I want to replace it with a switch and push button. I know how to do it, hide it, and make it secure, I just need to know which wires to put where. Like which are for accessories, and which are for running, and which are for starting.
thanx guys.

I wired up a push button stat in a friend's 90 YJ.

The ignition switch went bad, it would not engage when you turned the key all of the way forward to "start"

Just wondering can you stick the key in and turn it to "run"? Because if you can't I'm not really sure how to help with wiring it...

Also you'd want to make sure the key was turned to run so the steering wheel couldn't lock up.

Just wondering can you stick the key in and turn it to "run"? Because if you can't I'm not really sure how to help with wiring it...

Also you'd want to make sure the key was turned to run so the steering wheel couldn't lock up.

You could also take the column apart and remove the pin that pops out and locks the steering wheel as well.

While you're at it, you could go ahead and set up a FOB ignition :firedevil

... I'm only half serious. It would be cool though.

I wired up a push button stat in a friend's 90 YJ.

The ignition switch went bad, it would not engage when you turned the key all of the way forward to "start"

I think that is what he is not wanting to do. It sounds like he is wanting to put all the accessories on a switch and then a push button for the starter. I'm not sure which wires to use, but if you pull the ignition switch off the column you should be able to tell.

As also mentioned, you will need to disable the steering wheel lock.

it's a 91, and yeah, I want to put all the relays to a rocker switch and the tumble just happens to be mangled in the 'steering wheel unlocked' position. lucky there. but yeah, I may take that lock out just so it doesn't accidentally lock while I'm going down the freeway, or along a ridge or someother such thing.

by the way, what's a FOB ignition? is that a keyless ignition?

I look forward to following your progress. This is something I want to do when I "have time". You probably won't want to show us your security setup but let us know how the rest goes.

Wiring diagrams are easy to come by but for many models the brown wire is for accessories, red power, leaving start and run. I forget what these are but should be easy to identify when you get at the switch.

And, yeah, I would remove any hint of the lock mechanism!

I read about a guy taking 3 rorary 10 position switches and putting them in series and then to a push button. In order to start his truck, you had to know the combo. So he had to set them to 6-2-8 and then push the button. To lock it, he just set them all to 0. To start it he just turned it back. Pretty neet. In order to steal it, you'd first have to even understand the concept... and even if you did... then you'd need to know the combo.

The steering wheel lock can easily be dealt with by turning the wheel as hard as you can and breaking it the same way thieves do. Takes .01 second and no tools required.

Any specific reason you don't want to replace the tumbler? They are pretty cheap at Murrays/Kragen, etc. It would probably take less time to replace than the push button install.
A push button start would be fun though.

partly for kicks, partly just to be unique, partly cuz I think that my ignition switch is bad (and i hear that those commonly go bad), also because I was trying to remove the lock and tumbler from my engine donor jeep and put it into the body donor and it was pretty difficult.

When I get it all finished, I'll post a complete write up with pictures, wire colors and the whole thing.

If you do end up doing it, id like to see our wiring schematic if you could draw one up...

Also, if you need any help Im down in Temecula all the time. Lemme know man. :D

oh, groovy! you know any good trails/playgrounds up there in that area? ( I just realized how stupid of a question that was. maybe a better one is) where are they?

PM sent so we dont take this whole thread off topic... :D

i have an 88. i wired up a push button start on it. the key goes to the run position so the pump primes.then the button it wired up to a wire connection block on the passenger side under the hood. i took and put one wire to the nut and the other connected to a post. the pic sucks but its the best i could do

pushbuttonstarter.jpg

the red circle is to show the part i put the connector on i think its the atarter rely maybe?
the white on is for the other wire. i attched it to the nut that must be a main power point. kinda ghetto but it gets the job done when i need to use it.

Hey, my key tumbler got thoroughly mangled and unuseable and I want to replace it with a switch and push button. I know how to do it, hide it, and make it secure, I just need to know which wires to put where. Like which are for accessories, and which are for running, and which are for starting.
thanx guys.

I did the exact same thing to my old F150, for the exact same reason.

Get a Haynes manual, and use their wiring diagram.

Keep in mind that the original switch has acc-off-run-start positions. You'll lose the acc, of course. Your toggle will switch everything from off to run. Your pushbutton will hit the starter. All obvious.

But. Some stuff (radio, wipers, etc) drop out when you hit the starter. You'll wire these through the normally-closed contacts on the pushbutton.

Good luck!

Robert

The way I see it, I've got all the wires that I need under the dash already, so, what I would like to do is simply group all the wires together properly so I have the accessories on one toggle switch, and the run essentials on the other toggle switch and then take the one that goes to the starter and put it thru a momentary button, or rocker. I just notice, though, that there are like 8 wires under there, so I'm not sure what they all are for.

The way I see it, I've got all the wires that I need under the dash already, so, what I would like to do is simply group all the wires together properly so I have the accessories on one toggle switch, and the run essentials on the other toggle switch and then take the one that goes to the starter and put it thru a momentary button, or rocker. I just notice, though, that there are like 8 wires under there, so I'm not sure what they all are for.

Search for an FSM on google. (I hear Great Lakes 4x4 *might* have some..) ;)

Also check www.bulldogsecurity.com or some other diy remote starter brands site. I know on the one I mentioned, they tell what wires are what for an easier install. You and the remote box both need the same wires.
HTH

Back