• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower Motor repair

lecouz

NAXJA Forum User
My Blower motor is not working most of the time. When I take it out and turn the spinning wheel it works fine for a while and then dies again. Is there any way to open the blower and lubricate and clean the motor? Anybody as done this before? Does it work?

I doubt that you can open and rehab but with a search you will find threads from several years ago re: drilling holes and lubing. Ease of removing varies by year but is not difficult at least through 93.

However, in line with suggestion from rick96xj , name brand motors from the parts houses only cost ~$30-something and you're done with it for another 15 years or so.

Cheers fellows, I checked At my local Auto part and they want $90 for a new motor! I will drill some holes near the bearings and lube it up. Will see what happend! I'll keep you posted... Hope it woks, and last!

For $90 I'd oil the hell out of that thing. For info, for a '93 motor (VDO) is $34 at O'Reilly, $46 for a Siemans at AZ. I should have mentioned the year -- don't know what you have.

Let us know how it goes.

I would replace the motor. That's what I did when I blew the blower motor resistor 2x on my 96. Replaced with one from an 88 or 89 or something, no problems since.

You might limp it along for a while with lubing but personally, I'd just drop good old Aunt Sally and Uncle Bert off my Christmas gift list and spring for a new one; shop around and you may be able to chop some off the $90 tag.

What year? I know 87-93 at least are easy. Once they get noisy they will build enough resistance to take out the resistor or worse. I've replaced a couple with junkyard replacements and had no issue.

I am in Canada Dudes... I guess the exchange rates makes it more expensive... I have a 90 cherokee. It is the Blower motor for the heater i am talking about... Anyway, the motor is back in. I driled a hole at the end near the bearings, oiled it all up and put some WD-40 inside the motor. It's working fine for now, will see how long it last. I'll check at the wrecker as well in case it dies on me again.

Grrrr! I have a 98 and the cheapest I've been able to find a motor for is $135. Does anyone know what the difference is between the older style and the new? I have a 95 XJ growing rust in my garage but the motors are different. Wondering if I can swap them or not.

Rock auto has blower motors for $40. I checked for 1990 and 2000. I think they are w/o blower wheels. It's tough changing the blower wheels without breaking them, but I bet if you heated it up with a hair dryer it would come off pretty easy. We had special presses and took em off cold before. Make sure you get the new one on the same height or you'll have interference. And there is usualy a Rock Auto discount number floating around somewhere.

Rock auto has blower motors for $40. I checked for 1990 and 2000. I think they are w/o blower wheels. It's tough changing the blower wheels without breaking them, but I bet if you heated it up with a hair dryer it would come off pretty easy. We had special presses and took em off cold before. Make sure you get the new one on the same height or you'll have interference. And there is usualy a Rock Auto discount number floating around somewhere.

Well there must be some reason for that wheel to be on there (although I don't know why myself) and I don't exactly want to stand outside in the 30 degree temp blowing on it with a blow dryer to get it off. And I'm not going to yank one from a used jeep in this weather either. So I'm going to have to keep looking for the cheapest price I can find and order it with the wheel already on it. Thanks though.

Be warned after i changed my blower motor in my 93 xj (35$) the resisitor pack went out next.......

I've heard that if you wait to long to replace a worn out motor the resistor will go shortly after. I'm hoping to not delay this too long as the weather is a little bit chilly this time of year in Utah.

exactly... living in Canada sucks for friggin parts! If I were back home in Texas it'd be some cheap! Everything here is expensive... except the shitty service!

Well there must be some reason for that wheel to be on there (although I don't know why myself) and I don't exactly want to stand outside in the 30 degree temp blowing on it with a blow dryer to get it off. And I'm not going to yank one from a used jeep in this weather either. So I'm going to have to keep looking for the cheapest price I can find and order it with the wheel already on it. Thanks though.

I've heard that if you wait to long to replace a worn out motor the resistor will go shortly after. I'm hoping to not delay this too long as the weather is a little bit chilly this time of year in Utah.

The blower wheel is the fan blade. That's what moves the air. You take the assembly off of the vehicle and separate the blower wheel fan blade (it's just like a "squirrel cage" or "hamster wheel") and do the wheel swap indoors on the dining room table. It's $40 vs. $140.

The resistors don't wear out. They blow out from excess heat. They either fry or not, but not gradually.

You guys with the $35 motors -- are you sure that they have the fans on them?

By the way, handle the fan wheels with extreme care. If they get a little crack from shipping or handling, they will come apart at high speed.

FYI- Knowledge of former HVAC warranty engineer

The motor (~$35 for my 93) and squirrel cage (~$15) are separate items. I don't know if anyone ships them assembled. You can use the old cage if you can get it off without breaking it. I would suggest buying a new wheel at the same time as the motor and returning it if you successfully swap the old one to the new motor (obviously easier to do if you buy locally).

There is a relationship between the motor and resistor pack but reverse of what is suggested above. A failing motor will often cause the coils in the pack to overheat which in turn causes the thermal fuse to do it's job by developing resistance or opening. A replacement thermal fuse can be had at Radio Shack or similar for a couple of dollars and soldered into the pack in a few minutes saving the cost of a new pack. I believe a write up is referenced above. As winterbeater states, there is no reason that a new motor should cause the fuse to blow.

So am I to assume that the last week of squeeling that I listened to is the cause of my motor now not working on high??? And now I have to change the resistor and the motor? How much is a replacement resistor? Can I use a 93 motor in a 96?
Thanks for the info in advance...

Back