• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Painting Bushwackers?

Mudderoy

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my plan was to get all the goodies put on and then have them painted OEM poppy red.

I read today that Bushwacker says if you are going to paint the flares they need to be painted before they are install.

Anyone know why? Anyone had any problem with painting your Bushwackers?

If nothing else, its probably easier to paint them with them off. Less masking.

Well I thought they would just come off after removing the bolts. I was planning on taking them off to have them painted.

Not sure how you guys are painting but if you paint with them installed it seems like you would miss some areas....AKA you'd be painting the screws, and not the bit of plastic behind them. The same goes for the rubber molding. You'd be painting the rubber but not the plastic beneath the rubber molding.

Seems like it would work if you wanted to make a quick sale but not a good option in the long run....also not very thorough. Although painting the underside or inside of the flares is probably not a big issue as you can't see it anyway, I could potentially see peeling problems if you painted over the rubber molding and the screw heads.

Ok I just re-read the instructions and it said it is "recommended" that the flares are painted before installation. Probably because they are clean and free from any grease and debris at the time.

Ok I just re-read the instructions and it said it is "recommended" that the flares are painted before installation. Probably because they are clean and free from any grease and debris at the time.

thats what i was going to say if you want the paint to be more durable against "pin striping"!

And the damn rubber trim and the screws as I mentioned. But that should be obvious.

Yea I was afraid that was what caused the painting after install problem.

I'm hoping the rubber trim will come off. No way do I want any of this stuff painted on the XJ.

It will peel off, just when you are reinstalling the flares it will be more troublesome to keep the trim lined up since the sticky back won't really be sticking to the flares too good anymore...

Back