• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone in the valley/so. ventura county with impact?

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
In an effort to make life easy with getting my pinion nut off, does anyone nearby have an electric impact I could borrow for a few?

Alternately I could strip the axle down to where I'm running on stub shafts and everything is out but the pinion gear, drive over, and we could zip it off. I'm not sure if the gear having no resistance on it would make it harder to do though.

Need to remove the pinion nut so that my 4.10's can come out so they can get installed in my new housing.

Need to remove the pinion nut so that my 4.10's can come out so they can get installed in my new housing.

[FONT=&quot]If you have a socket that fits the pinion nut, you should be able to get the nut off without an impact wrench. Pinion nuts usually are not very tight
due to the relatively low torque needed to preload the crush spacer.
After draining the oil and removing the cover, wedge a rag between the ring and pinion gears. This will safely jam things up and allow you to loosen the nut, using a breaker bar and socket.
If that does not work, I live in West Hills and have an air impact wrench, if you want to bring the axle over.
[/FONT]

I've got an electric you can use, or a large breaker bar. Can't get to you until Sat afternoon, but I can drop it buy if you still need it. Or you can swing by Friday night & pick it up

Let me know back channel w/ your contact info & I'll get back to you

Rob

Last edited:
Pinion nuts usually are not very tight
due to the relatively low torque needed to preload the crush spacer.

No crush washer on a 30 (or a 44 for that matter), spec torque for the pinion nut is 160 - 260 ft lbs.

Now John, if you get super desperate and can't find anybody up there I do have impact down here, it's not too close to Simi though ;)

I think Felix might have me taken care of. Thanks though.

I'm going to attempt it without the impact tonight. Worse comes to worse the pinion stays in while everything else comes out and I get it impacted off later.

I got my nut off!

Jammed a rag in between the ring and pinion, used my hi-lift handle for some leverage and off it came!

Took me about 4 hours tonight by myself to pull the carrier and pinion, replace the shafts with stubs. I'm about ready to send my stuff down to get the new axle put together.

Tomorrow I'll look over my work in the daylight. The brakes always feel crappy after pulling the calipers, and the alignment was off, but nothing i can't take care of.

thanks to everyone here for the advice and support!

Tore down the "new" D30 this morning. Took me an hour and a half!

You didn't tear it down all the way... It was still weighed with the old gear set ;)

Yep. I thought about removing it but thought Scott might want to see the existing gear setup.

Back