• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

remote entry dome as electrical source?

snail

NAXJA Forum User
im planning on mounting either a cb radio or my scanner above the rearview mirror where the remote entry reciever dome is on my 96 xj. if i remove the dome (i dont use the remote entry) can it be used as a 12v source?

has anyone done this before?

i think this pic i found is pretty close, if not the same as in a 96..

2600830260_397e4c39e5.jpg

Does every XJ with a dome have remote entry? I checked with a stealership and they told me that my XJ didn't have it, but I have the dome and wires to it.

Yeah, if you had that dome, you had remote entry.

It doesn't work very well though.

I guess the better question to ask is where can I buy a cheap replacement fob. I know from research that it doesn't operate via RF transmissions. So does that mean it uses IR or some other form of "laser"?

I suspect that if you find a jeep in the junkyard with a fob on the keychain, you could take it and the orb and transplant them to your own. That might work for Grand Cherokee, vans, any of them with the orb, but I don't know.

I got a keyfob from the dealership, they threw it in when i bought the jeep. They come universal and are easy to program, it's just a combonation of press unlock, turn key, hold lock for 5 sec. I don't remember exactly but I'm sure the instructions are out there.

But it really is pointless, I had to literally press the keyfob against the window and jam on the button 3 or 4 times before it would work...

After reading this I'll be wiring a CB up there in the coming months.

So how would one go about finding a keyfob and set it to their own Jeep?

I've searched all over the internets on this topic, but never came up with much.

I took mine out when I put a new headliner in. I'm not sure how they're set up but I have a dome and a keyfob somewhere. Let me know what its worth to you.

If you take yours off, check how many wires there are. I have a 93 and when I took the dome off, I automatically cut the wires when I found a 12v source. Big mistake, I think a PO had a remote start on it cause then my gauges didn't work. Wound up with a red and a yellow up top had 12v so I had to wire a toggle for the gauges to have power to them. As far as the cb goes, it does great there.

my .02

Brian

Edit: I will try to get pix later today.

Last edited:
I took mine out when I put a new headliner in. I'm not sure how they're set up but I have a dome and a keyfob somewhere. Let me know what its worth to you.

Thanks for the offer, I was thinking more along the lines of somewhere convienent like Radio Shack or something. This is not a pressing matter for me, just something that has always been in the back of my mind.

Back