• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homemade bumper/tire carrer......

JESSE A

NAXJA Forum User
this is my bumper any suggestions, what do you think?
l_241a7863ed294427808543e3b9321894.jpg

l_d3f7ef209e1342948a6bfd7bae04bc03.jpg

l_e9553bb859674829b4d1e903a8053b29.jpg

The latch
l_30dda01581b7476097e014227c50c21d.jpg

It came out pretty good attached to the stock bolts and i also sleeved it into the uni body frame rails and added a few extra bolts.What do you think?

I think the T handle could be prefected.

Otherwise it looks good. As long as its all tight, doesnt rattle, and is ridged enough so the tire doesnt go through the rear window.

thanks everything seems to work great for now but i can always make changes if nessiary.

I like the look and functionality of the t-handle, but could become inopperable with a rear impact either on the trail or on the street.
Everything else looks great.
Where did you get the hinge?

I got the hinge from a to z fabrication it seems to be working pretty well.

Man you have some great skills, that bumper is beautiful!

Had a bumper/tire carrier on my old Rubi that had a bolt somewhat like yours to hold the carrier closed. Worked ok at first, but after a few months I had a harder time keeping it tight. Any loosness (is that a word?) at the bolt will allow the the carrier to rattle and seemed to bugger up the threads. Could be that the builder used a cheap bolt and/or nut, not sure. Also tough to keep paint on it, if that's something that is important to you. Although I'm leaning towards building an interior tire carrier when I eventually lift mine, if I do build a carrier on the rear bumper I will be using a stainless steel latch from Mcmaster.
Other than that it looks great.
Just my .02.

I tried a latch from master carr but i could not get it to latch tight enough, i think i might have bought one that was too small. Im going to just run this for now and see how it works.

I tried a latch from master carr but i could not get it to latch tight enough, i think i might have bought one that was too small. Im going to just run this for now and see how it works.
If your gonna keep it I would suggest checking it every 2 or 3 days and making sure that it is as tight as you can get it.

I don't have any pictures of the sleeving but i got the idea from another write up if you search you can find it

Back