• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mis fire with no codes.

proskier101

NAXJA Forum User
which means no shop can help me.

My 1996 XX 4.0 aw4 will sometimes misfire for some reason. it happens when i am mostly on the trail and right after i turn the jeep on after a break. It will misfire for about 5 min the run fine. My comp only through a code once and it said that cylinder 4 was running lean and misfiring. What would be the cause of this?

I have ruled out:
spark plugs: since it only happens sometimes, I would think a fouled plug would always misfire)

New wires: I bought new wires thinking maybe that was the problem

new dis. cap(that also didnt fix it)

and i though possibly a fuel injector but that should cause a problem all the time right?

any other thoughts? also my comp stop throwing the code so it reads clean now :( :skull2:

Don't rule out either spark plug or fuel injector as cause. Intermittent problems are alive and well in XJ'sville. If you have set a code for a particular cylinder, I would focus on all things associated with that cylinder. Spark plug, spark plug wire, fuel injector, cylinder condition itself.

Start by installing a new plug (or an entire set if it's been a while) in #4 cylinder. Alway simple things first and can't get any simpler than installing a new plug. If that doesn't help, swap the injector in #4 to a different location and see if the code (which will probably eventually set again) follows to the new location.

If that doesn't help either, run a compression test on #4 and a couple of others minimum and see what you get.

Last edited:
injector heat soak, i had the same issue in my '96. wrap the injectors with the heat insulating sleeve-i used thermotec heat wrap-that should take care of it.

Back