• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 hose to Rad leaks ??????

Ecomike

NAXJA# 2091
NAXJA Member
OK, the AW4 I am having problems with has started leaking at the hose clamps (worm gear) hose patches between the tranny and the radiator.

It has not leaked there in the prior 4000 miles since I did the head job on the engine, or changed the radiator (recent jeep buy, not a lot of me/us miles history yet), and the hose and clamps are PO work. I did add TransX, 1 pint last month, and have drained and changed the fluid once, 3 quarts via the drain plug.

The OEM hose is crimped on hydraulic stuff, the patch hose looks like hydraulic trans hose, but I am concerned about the worm gear hose clamps. I see that the PO doubled up on those clamps, 2 per end. The Quick Disconnects are still there, so it looks like they cut and cleaned the clamped hose end and the QD end, and put in new hose with Worm Gear clamps.

Is this Kosher? Or should I bite the bullet and buy new OEM hoses?

What is the operating pressure in these hoses anyway?

Doubling up clamps is good - it's what I usually suggest, when the hardline isn't "beaded" to accept a rubber hose - but I also tend to smear a little RTV on the outside of the hardline as well just as insurance. I'm willing to bet the PO didn't do that.

"Pressure" isn't really a factor in those hoses - it's residual. There's plenty of volume flowing through them tho (I had one blow off of an external cooler. Didn't sting like pressure would, but I got doused in a hurry...) Make sure to use either power steering or transmission cooler line, since the detergents in the fluid will start dissolving most other elastomer hoses.

I've never bought a replacement set of hardlines, so I'm not sure if you would need to.

You can also rent/buy a flare tool at AZone, flare the end and convert it to a barb type fitting for some extra insurance. 3/8 flare fitting to 3/8 barb to rubber. Mine are all like that now. I believe it cost me around $15 for all the fittings, hose and new clamps (1 only per connection).

P.S. I hate those QD'ses to pieces.

I have not had any problems with the QDs, maybe I've been lucky.

I have flare tools, somewhere, LOL, but I'd need to pull the entire tube assy to do that, such a bother, LOL.

I think I got lucky today. Turned out the clamps were loose, probably were not real tight when new, and age and the recent cold snap, and TransX finally started a small leak. Clamps were real loose. Just snugged em up a bit, and no more leak for now.

I'll pick up some new clamps and hose on one of my AZone shopping trips.

Thanks for the rapid fire replies guys!

Back