• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Been hearing a clunk now and then-Found it!

smcdonaldaz

NAXJA Forum User
After reading a several threads regarding clunks from the front end I suspected motor mounts. This is what I found:

BadMount.jpg

I've had this Jeep for a year and I'm pretty sure it's been bad the whole time I had it. This is the driver's side mount.

A word of warning, the plastic nipple to the power steering reservoir can be fragile! Ask me how I know...

After reading a several threads regarding clunks from the front end I suspected motor mounts. This is what I found:

BadMount.jpg

I've had this Jeep for a year and I'm pretty sure it's been bad the whole time I had it. This is the driver's side mount.

A word of warning, the plastic nipple to the power steering reservoir can be fragile! Ask me how I know...

Yes our enquiring minds demand how you know this to be true, lol :eyes:

go ahead and do a solid aftermerket mount like more, brown dog, etc - trust me it makes a world of a difference when it comes to peace of mind, safety and insurance - mine looked like that on my 99 and i replaced em with poly more's - got em on here actually for 50 shipped a long time ago - rustys or brown dog are about the same i think

Check, and probably change, your transmission mount, too.

Wow, thats pretty bad. If you haven't already bought new ones, check out rockauto.com, they have them for 8 dollars each, where the auto parts store near me wanted 20 each.

I got mine for $9 from RockAuto. Ended up paying $20 shipping for the pair though. Might have been cheaper to but them locally. They were Crown brand as I recall.

I got mine for $9 from RockAuto. Ended up paying $20 shipping for the pair though. Might have been cheaper to but them locally. They were Crown brand as I recall.
Interesting. I got the Anchor #2572, they sell for 6.96 each right now and were only 6.76 for shipping for a total price of 20.68. You can use a 5% discount from retailmenot.com. Theyre made in China tho haha.

I went and bought the AZ lifetime warranty mounts for $20. sometime next year when it's not christmas time I'll spent the $120 for the good ones. I did get both engine mounts and the tranny mount and it drives wonderfully!

ok.... so how is it possible to know if the mounts are in need of replacement? both the tranny and motor? :wierd:

If they look like the picture above...

You can look at the motor mounts and see if the rubber is torn. Goose the throttle and see if they move a lot as well. On the tranny mount, just slide under there and push the tranny side-side and up and down. It shouldn't move much at all.

Just replaced mine last week while swapping the transmission among other things. The driver's side looked just like the one posted above. The pass side looked O.K., but I replaced it anyway. I used the NAPA ones, FWIW. Hope they hold up.

Anyway, the clearances on the pass side were such that I had to remove the oil filter housing to get the bolt out of the sleeve. While I was in there, I replaced the 3 O-rings in the housing. No more leaky!!

Broke my power steering resevior when I did my mounts too.

I used carquest mounts. So far no problems yet. I haven't been beating on the truck much though and I haven't been wheeling in ages either so I will have to see how they hold up.

ok.... so how is it possible to know if the mounts are in need of replacement? both the tranny and motor? :wierd:
as said above the motor mounts you can tell by looking at them. for the tranny mount, if you hear a light bump or clunk when you put the trans in reverse while you still have your foot on the brake, its bad. if you've never changed it, its probably bad. and, if the motor mounts are bad, the first thing they tear up is the tranny mount because the engine and trans are moving around together and tear up the rubber on the tranny mount.

:cheers:

Back