• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw4 SHOT!!!!!!!!

89mudder

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I have an AW4 trans that is screwed BUT! I have a NP242 Selctrac that I really really want to keep!! I purchased a 98 AW4 trans that is a 23 spline and my NP242 is a 21 spline HOW DO I INTER CHANGE THE TWO!!!??? I have herd of the swap but cannot find the right info on how to do it. I have tried to search here and google but most of the links are broken or just not what I need Please any one help me!!!!!!!!:hang:

Last edited:
I am thinking of doing similar...
My searching has found that i is easier to change the input on the TC than to change the output on the Trans...

Not sure... hope this helps

Arg, I just had a long answer typed up and firefox crashed.

Anyway, swapping the tranny output shafts is a near complete tear down and the shafts may not swap as there were a few internal changes along the way.

Also, the 98 tranny will not work with your 89 TCU. At least not without some work. The 98 AW4 will have an extra input speed sensor that you can ignore, but the rear speed sensor is different. The 98 output speed sensor puts out 4-pulses per rev and the 89 TCU is expecting 1-pulse per rev. I found this out the hard way after swapping in a 99 AW4 and wondering why it was upshifting at 800 rpm. I have not done this personally, but someone did post with pictures confirming that you can pull the rear of the transmission off and swap over the sensor rotor and use the older speed sensor. My fix was a bit more involved as I built a custom interface box to adapt the output signal - not really an option unless you're an eleectronics weenie like me.

After all that, what are the symptoms? Are you sure its a mechanical failure and not an electrical issue? The most common issues are a bad TPS (they do wear out), solenoids, and very rarely the computer itself.

-Chris

well my friend xjatticus and I have been trying to troubleshoot this trans for a week now and he started a thread here that explains my problem AW4 only goes forward
after all that work and replacing the front pump seal its still leaking and the trans still isn't working so Im just going to save up and get a new one i guess.

well my friend xjatticus and I have been trying to troubleshoot this trans for a week now and he started a thread here that explains my problem AW4 only goes forward
after all that work and replacing the front pump seal its still leaking and the trans still isn't working so Im just going to save up and get a new one i guess.

Ah, gotcha. That one does sound f'd to me. I'm thinking clogged up valve body on that one.

Do you know if a 96 AW4 will work in a 97?
I purchased a brand new 96 AW-4 and took it to my Tranny shop and I got a call today
that the wiring was too different to be able to make it work.
Any suggestions??
Thanks,

Back