• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

should I buy $300 '89 parts jeep for '01

dogsled1

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I bought my first Jeep, an '01 Cherokee with Up Country package, 110K miles, 9000lb Ramsey winch, 231, 3.55 gears, limited slip rear-end. It was a game warden vehicle, seemed in pretty good shape.

After buying I start surfing and realize that I have the worst rear end (D35 c-clip) , worst front end (low pinion D30), and crack prone head.

Start looking for parts XJ's, found an '89, was hoping to get a D44 out of it, but it turns out that it is a D35.

Body is rusted out, non-running, engine low end is toast according to owner. I can pick it up for $300, but not sure if it is worth the effort. It does have a 242 t-case, full time 4WD would be nice, but further reading looks like I can't use it (input/output shaft differences). Also looks like the head isn't usable for me (mine isn't cracked) due to differences in intake, etc. Not sure if the high pinion front end and non c-clip D35 are worth the cost/effort.

Which brings me to the purpose of the post, am I accurate on t-case won't swap, head won't swap, axles will swap, but may not be worth the effort? I would get a new starter and radiator out of it, extra drive shafts, has stock alum wheels, but don't really need any of that stuff, could keep them as spares.

Head is not the same, rear axle would be different if you have ABS, you'd have to swap the tranny with the xfer case, radiator is difference, and drive shaft lengths might not be the same.

Not worth it in my opinion. Just run your Jeep and if something breaks, deal with it then. Just because there are known weakness, doesn't automatically mean its going to break. Many of the issues with the D35 are with guys running larger tires or running in rocks which can both stress the axle beyond it limits.

Just because there are known weakness, doesn't automatically mean its going to break. Many of the issues with the D35 are with guys running larger tires or running in rocks which can both stress the axle beyond it limits.
Good Point :thumbup:

Head is not the same, rear axle would be different if you have ABS, you'd have to swap the tranny with the xfer case, radiator is difference, and drive shaft lengths might not be the same.

Not worth it in my opinion. Just run your Jeep and if something breaks, deal with it then. Just because there are known weakness, doesn't automatically mean its going to break. Many of the issues with the D35 are with guys running larger tires or running in rocks which can both stress the axle beyond it limits.

What offroading I do will be in the rocks, plus I don't own anything except for my DD that I don't tinker with.

If it has ABS (which is possible), then the front axle is well worth $300 alone. Nickle-and-dime the small parts out to people and you'll probably make up for it...

Your choice I suppose!

Like everybody else has already said, not worth it. '97 is the newest year you might be able to use drivetrain parts from. In '00 DaimlerChrysler redesigned the engine to meet the ever increasing emissions standards. Ya the new head castings made them weaker, but only a few have failed. Not even enough for them to put out a service bulletin. '01, as we all know, was the last last year of service for the 4.0 as we knew it (Rest In Peace). I was happy to hear the 4.0 was coming back in 2007, until it learned it was just a bored & stroked 3.5 V6.

Dont buy the 89 plain and simple.

Wait and find a 97-01 if you want a parts jeep.

X2- too many parts don't match... An 87 with a Dana 44 would be different.

Back