• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

temp control backlighting

slapshot

NAXJA Forum User
hey all

i've tried searching but to no avail. it seems like the lights that illuminate my temp control area on my center consol are not working. i'm wondering if anyone has info about the wiring/ how to fic this. i have a 91 . when i first got the thing a few years ago the lights would come on every once in awhile, but now its f'd.

any advice?

Before you get to crazy, check the easy stuff. I would say check the fuse, but it sounds as though it's only the HVAC panel that is fritzing out, so that shouldn't be it. Have you tried pulling the panel and replacing the bulb? if Memory serves, it's one of those dinky little 74's that just push in and out of the holder. The holder seems pretty tight (I always worry about squeezing the bulb too hard when I pull it out, I don't want a finger full of glass) but the connections inside might be a little loose.

If changing the bulb doesn't do it, check the inside of the connector itself with a test light. If you absolutely do not get any power at all, THEN look into pursuing a wiring issue.

I have played this silly little game myself quite a few times... And I always forget to CHECK the bulb BEFORE I put the dash back together. Doh!

P.S. Might help if posted in the OEM section.

~Scott

my '87 is the same way. I pulled the lights out of the shifter bezels, and dimmed my stereo. After that, it doesnt bother me anymore. :)

It's got a bulb behind the faceplate. Pop the dash fascia, pull the four screws holding the climate control onto the dash, and there is a small #74 bulb on the passenger side of the climate control face plate

My brother fixed mine when he bowrowed my XJ last year. He said it was a pain in the @$* to get to, so changed every blub in the dash while he was in there.
Now I need sunglasses at night.

Back