• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE installed, now tcase pops in 4wd

Glacialbass

NAXJA Forum User
I recently installed a Tom Woods SYE (modified stock shaft) into my 98 5spd, NP231.

Before the install, 4wd worked flawlessly, no noise at all. Post install, something inside is slipping and popping in 4wd. I thought that maybe I didn't get the front output yolk quite tight enough, so I pulled the front shaft and tried to tighten it. When applying torque to it, I get the same popping and skipping.

My initial thoughts were the transfer case chain, but if it was fine before the install, then why the sudden failure? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to have this fixed ASAP.

i have the same popping sound coming from somewhere underneath near the t-case also. i have the same tom woods sye and stock driveshaft. it only makes the kind of popping noise while under stress in 2 and 4 wheel drive

Sounds like an improper install.Things to check:Shift rod length,shift fork pads,and the shift collar.

check install and u-joints. possibly something simple...

Definitley check and adjust your shift linkage.

x2 again this was one of the something's. linkage is critical. i jumped my rig and bent the linkage. wouldnt engage. took linkage apart and bent it back to normal and now it works fine...

I had a similar issue in my 242 that gradually came about after the lift/SYE install. I was never able to isolate it, but swapping in another 242 re-using only the mainshaft and SYE from my old one seems to have corrected it.

Frustrating, to be sure.

I'll check my linkage, but I did the install in the Jeep, so the linkage was never modified.

I bought the SYE used and it already came with the gears attached to the shaft. The seller told me that the kit came out of a 99 with a 231, so I assumed that the main gear should be the same. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the case?

i too am going to suggest linkage. even a slight misalignment can make a significant difference. the popping you're hearing could be due to high amounts of torque causing it to skip out of 4wd because of poor engagement due to misaligned linkage.

i too am going to suggest linkage. even a slight misalignment can make a significant difference. the popping you're hearing could be due to high amounts of torque causing it to skip out of 4wd because of poor engagement due to misaligned linkage.

How could the linkage be out of adjustment when it was never touched? I left teh TC in the Jeep when I installed the SYE.

Back