• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

charging system ?

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
Okay so a few months ago I was driving down the road and my check gauges light came on. I looked quickly at the Oil pressure and then noticed that the battery guage was pegged out on 19 volts. So I turned the jeep off and then back on and it went away. It didn't happen again untill the next week when I was headed back from the movies with my wife. So after asking around I was told that the alternator was over charging the system.

I went to napa and bought a new one for $200 and put that in. I haven't had any problems since the install untill this morning. Normal driving conditions, was in the middle of switching lanes and then BAMMM! The light comes on for the gauges, and the battery volts were pegged on 19 again. So I went to the place where I bought the battery this time (optima red top) and asked if there could be a problem with the battery or something. The guy put the jeep on a tester and said that the battery was putting out 830 cca and it is rated for 800 so that was good. He also said that the alternator was putting out just fine. So now I'm wondering if any of you have any ideas!

next time the gauge pegs out at 19v, pop the hood open and test the voltage at the battery to verify that the in-dash gauge is correct.

is this for a 1999? if so,do you know if the voltage regulator is external or internal?

Back