• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quiet sway bar discos?

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know of a sway bar disconnect method that is pretty quiet, preferably not too much extra noise? I'm trying to find a method that won't degrade over time and can't seem to find one.

Hmm, I just drove home with new JKS quicker disconnects and they were virtually silent. I couldn't believe at how much better my jeep felt. I think my old stock ones were just being pushed too hard at 4" of lift. For $140 I think they were well worth it.

just take the swaybars off! problem solved.
:nono: It's my DD, I'd prefer not do that.

I'm also on a budget, I think I forgot to mention I'd like to be able to homebrew this if at all possible. I'm thinking of doing this one mod I saw where they replaced the nuts with wingnuts and then had a pin in place to act as a locker.

I had a rock krawler set that came with my kit a couple years ago. They were quiet. IDK how much they cost. They discon'd really quick and easy, too. I ended up forgetting they were connected and I managed to bend one though. So I just scrapped the sway bars all together. It is also my DD.. 9"'s of lift on 33's.. yes, I know I'm crazy. It handles exceptionially well considering.. I can even tow a 6x10 enclosed trailer with no problems..

you dont want the ones I got, they were cheap (10 bucks) from a local member, but they sure are noisy... and I know its those because I had zero noises when I was driving it without a swaybar :(. good luck!

I know they're not cheap but JKS gets my vote for sure.
I am on a VERY tight budget :bawl:

Anything over about $50 falls in the category of "major planned purchase" for me, and has to be accommodated into my jeep's $100/week fund that will end (for upgrading) at the beginning of June. I have been attempting to hawk my s**t for a little more income, just the stuff I never use.

I bought some used JKS quicker quick disconnects off of a friend who ditched the swaybar entirely for $50.

That was prior to me ditching the swaybar since it was stock. Then I ditched the swaybar again after using the JKS discos for awhile.

Finally I put them back on.

Handling was never a problem without the swaybars but when it was stock, the stock soft suspension obviously did sway a little more than the various lift sizes I've been running.

However the swaybars do their job, limit sway on turns. And I figured since I had the JKS's lying around I mind as well use them, and in fact they are silent!

BTW I have no rear swaybar and one I took it off when the rig was stock I never put it back on. Besides nobody (that I can recall) makes a rear quick disconnect for XJ's anyway, and even the upcountry equipped XJ's came without a swaybar in the rear FROM THE FACTORY.

I am running 7" on 32x11.50's now, plan to upgrade tire size down the road. To the guy running 9" on 33's, do you have any pics?

Anything over about $50 falls in the category of "major planned purchase" for me, and has to be accommodated into my jeep's $100/week fund that will end (for upgrading) at the beginning of June. I have been attempting to hawk my s**t for a little more income, just the stuff I never use.

How about spending a little more time working at Taco Bell and a little less time on the internet!:D

Maybe its because so many other things on my Jeep make noise, but I've never found my RE discos to be loud.

Lazy Bastards JK
Im sure most of us have the right size wrench.
Just remove the nuts and tie up the sway bar.
There your done.
Probobly won't cost you a thing.

Have to throw another vote in for the JKS Quicker Discos - save up for a few weeks if I understand your budget comments correctly. Loved mine, and am thinking about throwing another set (and my swaybar) on before spring.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I'm also on a budget,

I'm looking for the cheapest possibility too.

I work at subway, thank you.

sounds like you need a kia... or a better paying job.
or, get off your ass and fab up something to work, instead of constantly posting about how broke you are. theres plenty of broke people with PROPER fabed rides, its all about commitment.

you work at subway, quit eating anything but free food.

also, what do you mean 'degrade by time'? anything metal will eventually rust out, and bushings wear out as well... but i dont see it being a concern in the short to mid term. not as you would think of tires wearing out for example...

consider it more like when you replace a starter, you dont think 'oh, this should last me 2 years...' more like 'it will last a while, hopefully i dont gotta replace it again'

all depends on the quality of the product, for PURE GOLD, why not pickup some JKS disconnects? =) you asked for it when you posted up wanting a quality product delivered to you for a low low price. fabricated parts aint cheap unless you fab em yourself. get them sandwich artisian hands dirty!

Back