• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best grease for slip yoke CLANK?

lifted00

NAXJA Forum User
Ive searched and people say to use a high pressure grease to cure the clank in the slip yoke. I used a generic grease cause thats all I could find at different stores. What would be the best grease to use to help out the problem and where to buy it.

Really any grease would do.Wheel bearing grease or white lithium are readily available.Even Anti-Seize would work.

Wayne

Ive searched and people say to use a high pressure grease to cure the clank in the slip yoke. I used a generic grease cause thats all I could find at different stores. What would be the best grease to use to help out the problem and where to buy it.

Clank ??? Do you hear this and/or do you feel play in the slip yoke?

You can get by with some play , Sounds like clank means excessive play .

Grease will remove slight play for a short time.

I use a high temp red grease.

Good Luck
Nick

When I am driving and give it gas or let off the gas it sounds like a lot of slop or a loud clank where the slip yoke is. I did grease the heck out of but didn't see any results. It does have a 3" lift with 31's. Everything else is stock. I put the jeep in neutral and tried to see if there was any play in the ujoints and they seemed fine. I think they may be original with 94k miles on them. I do have a locker in the rear but it did this before I installed it. When I put the locker in, there was no play in the pinion shaft or ring and pinion gears so I doubt the R&P have play in them. I'm just stumped.

Jeep in 1st gear(man)/park(auto), chock 3 wheels, lift 1 rear wheel. Crawl under jeep. Put your hand on drive shaft U-joint so you have part of your hand on each side of the joint. Have a friend manually rotate the lifted wheel back and forth. If there is any play at all, you'll be able to feel it. Repeat with the other u-joint and the slip yoke. Any play in the U-joints at all, replace.

Disclaimer: I'm assuming the problem is with a '00/late T-case with the exposed slip yoke/shaft

It probably is a slip yoke that needs greased. GM and Ford have released several tsb's about this. Really any good grease will work, just pull the shaft out and add grease inside the slip yoke.
I guess chevy's new fix for this is a nickel plated slip yoke.

Back