• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob Help

EazyXJWJ

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone help me find out what's wrong with my XJ. I hear a clunking sound when i back up and sometimes going forward. I have tomorrow off, so if someone local (Long Beach, Carson, Lakewood, Torrance, San Pedro, etc.) isn't busy, that would be GREAT! I could stop by.

:repair:

Thanks in advance

tranny mount. come by my work tomorrow, 16517 S normandie, in Gardena. i work at the Gardena napa store, im right at the end of the 91, right by you. ask for Mike :cheers:

Flux capacitor?

Yeah. That's why I'm not a mechanic.

driveshaft ujoints dont clunk, they click as they rotate :D the sound you are hearing is the bolts holding the transmission to the mount moving around in the worn out rubber part of the mount. it clunks when you are putting it in reverse once right? then not again till you stop? then it clunks again once when you put it in D and hit the gas, then only when you leave from a stoplight?

Did you check your ball joint fluid? maybe top them off? :D

I would definately check the u joints.

is it louder when you hit the gas harder? and do you hear it or "feel" it ? and ujoints would make more noise and vibration the faster you go. if its a one time thing its not a ujoint.

yea... we all have nothing better to do. well i do, but i lack motivation.. and drive.. and money... and sobriety.

:gag:

usually when it's parked and i start driving. right at the very start. after that, not really

I had all sorts of clunks and pops about 7-8 months after I bought my XJ. Most were traced down to some bushing that went bad. First the bushings in the lower Pro Crap control arms were gone. Replaced those with RE control arms. Then more clunking. Burrow found the problem as bad motor mounts. Upgraded to M.O.R.E. motor mounts. A little while later, more clunking. The bushings around the upper front shock mounts disintegrated.

Clunking is usually caused by a failure of some rubber isolator someplace. You just need to recreate the sound and condition, hopefully while not moving, so that a friend can listen and look for the cause of the problem.

Try power braking and listen for the noise. Isolate the location and then look carefully.

Back