• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trunk storage ideas

bmyohn

NAXJA Forum User
im looking to build some storage for my trunk to store trail gear, tools, etc in.

i'm just looking for ideas to start from. so far here is the best one i have found

JeepPics024.jpg

JeepPics027-2.jpg

any others guys?

I really like that first one, never seen it before.

I had one of those drawer trunks in my xj for a while and it was nice but very heavy!!!

After putting my xj on a diet I started messing with this setup for storage:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=945929&highlight=started+rear+storage

While it's not for everyone it works for me and allows more cargo room.
I think I'm going to have to work on line over this winter. I've talked about it long enough, and it's time to get beyond the simple box I built a few years back.

http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/storage.html
feb24_01.jpg

It fit well enough when I had 235/75R15s, but now that I'm on 33x10.50s and don't have a baby spare in back, there's a large gap where the tire once sat.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

It looks a little different now but here is the gist. I went with a rack it's lightweight removal and doesn't take up the space of the olympic rack

click to enlarge

i dont mean to hijack, but its along with the topic. anyone have pics of storage after raising the gas tank partially or all the way into the back? thats what im trying to do when i get back to work on my jeep

Got my dads wood shop right in the back yard so i fabbed this up for all my tools and trail supplies. on both sides of the drawer, the top plates are hinged and hold spare fluids and straps. heavy duty drawer tracks are rated to like 150 lbs and its holdin every bit of that fully loaded. i used the area right behind the rear seat as a spot to put my spare shafts and axle parts.

10d9jsz.jpg

33e6537.jpg

24b8eiv.jpg

what ever you do please make sure it is bolted down and not with just sheet metal screws. you do not want it to come forward and visit you while out on the trail.

Here is mine, I didn't build it a friend of mine did. I have everything in there you can imagine! I am in the process of moving the spare to the drivers side rear seat area and mounting another XJ front seat to the pass side for my son to ride on. This will give me my rear view back and still keep the spare inside and lower.

p1010378uw3.jpg

It looks a little different now but here is the gist. I went with a rack it's lightweight removal and doesn't take up the space of the olympic rack

click to enlarge

I built one very similar to this however I mounted the spare on top and have plastic tubs below for storage works out very well

what ever you do please make sure it is bolted down and not with just sheet metal screws. you do not want it to come forward and visit you while out on the trail.

Very good point!! most ones ive seen are jsut floatin around in the back. also, without being mounted down, mine would fall out of the back if i opened the drawer the whole way. i used the stock holes for the 2 tie down points on each side and added 2 more in between. Underneth, its just outside of the framerails and uses some plates to spread the load out.

definetly a good link. thanks for posting that! i think i decided i want to do one with the design i posted up first and then reorganize the inside of the drawers to my liking. eventually i wanna hide a second batter on the left side and maybe OBA or something.

my neighbor and i are going to do this around New Years hopefully.

more pics and ideas are greatly appreciated.

where can i find carpet to match the back of the xj?

where can i find carpet to match the back of the xj?
I picked mine up at Pep Boys, but have seen it in Checker (Checker, Kragen, Schucks are all the same). Of course it depends what your interior is - my dark gray was easy to match. Tan or (gag) blue from 80s models might not be as easy to find.

im looking to build some storage for my trunk to store trail gear, tools, etc in.

i'm just looking for ideas to start from. so far here is the best one i have found

JeepPics024.jpg

JeepPics027-2.jpg

any others guys?

Do you know who made that one? I want to make one just like it and was hoping to get some measurements.

Well gents...a few years ago I got hit headon at 55.....You can not believe what the h*ll goes on inside an XJ w/ that kinda force. The back seat buckled up 6" and the strapped spare came 1/2 way over. stuff was everywhere...nothing like a metal firstaid kit you thought u had screwed down good and tight comin past u at 55. Lucky I was alone. to the guy w/ his hilift bolted to wood...It will kill you and everyone w/ you (dog woman or child). To those who think welding it to the inside rack works...welds will break at this speed...hope you are a good welder. Put the jack and spare outside on the back. Good roof racks just barely make it w/o a spare on em and I am quite sure a full gas can on the rack must just be awsome. :soapbox:

Last edited:
Back