• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How strong is an AW4

RANSOM

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ 4.0L, AW4, NP231.

-Does anyone know how much horsepower the AW4 will handle? And has anyone ever modified one with heavy clutches, shift kit, torque converter, etc?

Yeah, it's pretty high. Basically it's the same tranny used in Supras, and some of those guys are putting down some really high numbers.
What are your plans for your engine?

Well, I'd like to build a supercharged stroker 350-400hp inline-6 for it if possible . I'd like to keep the engine and trans. as factory components, just highly mod'd. Whether or not I do is another story. I have a lot of plans for it. Just today, I picked up fr. and rr. Dana 60's. The front's a ford hp and the rr. is out of an E-350 van, 35-spline, semi-fl, factory disc brakes w/dual piston calipers. I'm gonna start narrowing them in about 15min...

oh yeah.. I'm gonna do 5.13's, locked front and rear, and high steer.

Level 10 makes upgrades for the AW4. Like Trailready said... This transmission is in a lot of high power cars like the Supras so aftermarket upgrades exist for it.

well i can say i can't make a living off rebuiding them. they seem to be a very good unit.

i haven't seen problems with them with a turbo and 35" tires.

i have put more clutches in by modifying steel and clutch count and pressureplate thickness. there is better quality parts than just replacement stuff

forgot to add

the torque converter can be ordered with heat treated splines and brased impeller components. i'm pretty sure it's all torrington bearings inside not washers. a good cooler will do wonders

Well, I'd like to build a supercharged stroker 350-400hp inline-6 for it if possible . I'd like to keep the engine and trans. as factory components, just highly mod'd. Whether or not I do is another story. I have a lot of plans for it. Just today, I picked up fr. and rr. Dana 60's. The front's a ford hp and the rr. is out of an E-350 van, 35-spline, semi-fl, factory disc brakes w/dual piston calipers. I'm gonna start narrowing them in about 15min...

oh yeah.. I'm gonna do 5.13's, locked front and rear, and high steer.

Do they even make a forged rotating mass for 4.2's? Also low compression pistons. I have never built a 6 but I would think that kind of power out of one wouldn't be a good trail motor but a good mud runner though.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind when I get to that point. Import Performance Trans is offering a modified valve body that's supposed to increase the oil pressure 30-40% off idle and 80% at full throttle. I might give them a call as well. They're hour away from me. I think I saw kevlar clutches offered on their site.. cant remember.

I'm leaning towards 35x12.5-17 right now but may end up with 37's by the spring. Im looking to do some crazy sheet metal work, so 37's would push me to do so. Sheet metal forming's my first love.

Don't know if you guys are into motorcycles but, thats my gig. Designing/fabbing concepts using crotch rocket engines. I specialze in aluminum sculpture. www.ransombikes.com

Do they even make a forged rotating mass for 4.2's? Also low compression pistons. I have never built a 6 but I would think that kind of power out of one wouldn't be a good trail motor but a good mud runner though.

I haven't gotten that far yet. I have the capacity to make lower comp pistons. But the crank and rods.. IDK. Might check out falicaon cranks. they've been known to do custom cranks. and maybe Carillo rods too.

But if it too much I might just put a small block in it.

As for the usage of the engine... I live in South Jersey.. do I have to say more? FLAT! No seriously, I used to venture to Paragon. Maybe Roush Creek now. I'm not building a purpose built rig. Just an all around good performer. Just something fun to drive wherever the trail leads.

I think if I were to do something to make that much power I would use a small block ford 351w with a c4 or a c6 small block and a Dana 300. You could get those numbers easy with this setup no turbo or supercharger. Then later it could be replaced with a stroker 440w or be supercharged to make big numbers and still drive it daily.

I know it's not a jeep Cherokee but I knew a guy that had a 5.0 with a 440w stroker 6sp ran 32 psi boost from a Paxton gear charger that made around 1000 wheel hp and he could drive it daily on pump gas. I am not saying it was cheap for him to build this bad a$$ but 300 to 400+ hp would be cheaper with a v8 then the 6. You could also get those numbers from an old 5.0 or even a 4.6l v8

Oh. No doubt on the 351w... It probably cost less to do the small blk. But if I can, I'd like to keep the 4.0 in there.. I guess its a heritage thing.. Anyone can through a bigger motor in... I love seeing factory issue stuff pushed/tuned to the limit.

I know what you mean by leaving the 6cyl. Back in the day I had a 12 sec. ford pinto that still had the 2.0l 4cyl that came in it. I spent a a lot of money to make it fast and it was kinda cool to smack down some of the slower v8 at the races Like what the diesels do know.

Haha! Maybe. Never know. I'd give it a good run! And if I was losing I'd just have to crawl up and over the wall.. and continue up the grandstands hahaha! that would rock.

A friend of mine has a cj thats looks completely factory. But lift the hood and a 383 stoker's waiting for ya. He runs in the low 11's and takes the trail home.. good stuff... It really drops some jaws.

Back