• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

? about the 1 ton steering arguments.

mjdriver

NAXJA Member #1376
alright please educate me.

latley there is a bunch of arguments about doing the 1 ton steering linkage upgrade to the D30, Rugged Ridge, JCR, TNT, Motion Offroad, did I forget anyone. anyway it comes down to this problem with the TRE rolling causing a dead spot.

So why is it that an axle upgrade (waggy D44) that has the same steering linkage system doesn't have the same complaints?

I have noticed that some of these systems have a prebent passenger side TRE on the tierod, does that have anything to do it?

The actual steering set up you are refering to is an inverted T set up, the 1-ton refers to the size of the TREs

That and you comparing apples to oranges,its all about angles!An OTK kit will have less roll than a UTK set-up at any given lift height.The more the lift the worse it gets.

on an inverted-t set-up anything more then 15 degrees of drag link angle develops a dead spot. I was running the JCR OTK system and 7" of lift. Brand new the system's poly spacer worked well. but after a year the spacer was shot. I would order an extra poly spacer so you can run them on booth sides. I was very pleased with the system but with 36's it put a lot of strain on my steering box, went through 3.

While doing my waggy d44 swap i notice the factory tre's had rubber bushings with metal cups on each side to prevent any roll in the system. I would run the metal cups with poly spacers inside and it would be a sweet set-up.

And for the record motion offroads magical steering is the rugged ridge kit, just another brand he is claiming is his own probably.

x2 on motion, id avoid that guy.

As for the lift, yes its caused by an inherent dead spot in the steering, but a DEAD SPOT and LOOSE STEERING are 2 different things. I dont mind loose steering that much, as ive always had it, but i dont like my dead spot. Still working on getting it resolved. Some have no roll at all, so it is not true to say it is unavoidable.

I'm thinking of changing my inverted T to an inverted Y to see if it helps with steering response. I set it up that way a couple weeks ago but I need to change the PS TRE and ream it from the back side. I pushed my axle forward 1.5" or I think I could have got it to fly in the old setup. I will let everyone know how well it works when it's done.

It's a TNT setup for the most part. I had to make an additional TR because the TNT one was to short and I haven't followed up with Bob @ TNT on a replacement yet.

x2 on motion, id avoid that guy.

As for the lift, yes its caused by an inherent dead spot in the steering, but a DEAD SPOT and LOOSE STEERING are 2 different things. I dont mind loose steering that much, as ive always had it, but i dont like my dead spot. Still working on getting it resolved. Some have no roll at all, so it is not true to say it is unavoidable.

motion is an idiot to say the least!

Last edited:
All these issues with the dead spots of the inverted T setup makes me very glad I didn't go with the JCR setup like I was thinking of doing.

That poly spacer is nothing more than a bandaid for the problem.

I ended up going with the Ballistic Fab Heim kit and haven't had a single problem with it in about 2 years.

steeringkit.jpg

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Steering-Kit-78-with-High-Misalignment-Spacers_p_113-1337.html#

I have the RR steering setup. I like it. The only problem that im running into is some popping. Im thinking its my trac bar though. As far as dead spots, im not quite sure what a "dead spot" feels like but all in all i think my steering feel like it did when i first got the jeep stock. And thats moving 33's.
If i could get the popping to stop, and find a sure fire way to control some of the tie rod roll, I think it would turn out to be a killer setup.

so how well do rod ends last on a daily driver?

I can't answer that as mine is not a daily driver.

I've put probably 500 miles maybe of trail miles (mostly rockcrawling trails at JV and/or Truckhaven type trails) and short errand miles around town. The rod ends are still in great condition and have no noticeable wear as of yet.

I still have a full set of replacement Heims that I always carry in case of breakage though that were roughly $25 each at the time of purchase.

I have no play at all in the steering. It's nice and responsive with no problems to report.

All these issues with the dead spots of the inverted T setup makes me very glad I didn't go with the JCR setup like I was thinking of doing.

That poly spacer is nothing more than a bandaid for the problem.

I ended up going with the Ballistic Fab Heim kit and haven't had a single problem with it in about 2 years.

steeringkit.jpg

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Steering-Kit-78-with-High-Misalignment-Spacers_p_113-1337.html#

Only problem I have with the heim setup is strength for one, I have heard with one bolt taking 2 forces like that it isnt good for hardcore, but i wouldnt worry about that. The biggest thing is simple: Heims are illegal in steering in North Carolina :( :( :( :( :(

Honestly how much lift is on your jeep? At 4.5 inches I have the ACRO 1 ton steering, almost identical to the TNT setup, ACRO is just local to me. I have no dead spots or any problems whatsoever and I don't run a stabilizer.

-Alex

Back