• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange power loss/surge problem

dan302492

NAXJA Forum User
this happens only once after any startup for some reason. so i go into my jeep and start it up and it runs and idles fine but as soon as i pull out into the road and get going about halfway into second gear at about 1700rpm it will start to bog down so i goose the throttle a little bit and it runs like normal untill i start it up any other time. i let it idle for a while yesterday and after about 5 minutes it just started to randomly surge like someone was tapping on my gas peddle. took it to schucks and it was throwing up the code for the o2 sensor in the cat which has always been out but never made it act like this. then i took off my distributer cap and noticed the shaft had some slop in it. so i guess what im asking is if the distributer shaft can cause that???

jeep is a 1998 4.0 auto

never thought this would be bumped, the problem ended up being the wires going to the downstream (catalitic converter) o2 sensor had worn threw on the plastic clip that holds the connector, causing it to short out the fuse which heats the o2 sensors. thats what caused my jeep to stumble at start offs and some stops. i have no idea how long the wires going to that o2 were like but it never caused it to short for some reason. check engine light hasnt been back on since and it runs like a champ now.

Back