• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Backyard Customs XJ Build

jbjustin33415

NAXJA Forum User
well over the past couple weeks ive been helping my buddy mike build up Betsy in my backyard. this has inspired me to build up mine now.

the flatform is a 1989 4.0 with a RE 4.5 lift with 36" super swampers.

i will be putting a leaf sprung dana 44 up front and putting a ford 9" in the rear from a truck i got for free.

first was to go get the front axle at the junkyard. the best axle i could find was a dana 44 passenger side drop from a 70's dodge w150. there is warn lockout hubs and flat top knuckles with u turn steering. i also got the transfer case, a NP241D to go with the passenger drop front axle. got a discount at the junkyard and got away with only paying 175 for the front axle, transfer case, and a slip yoke driveshaft.

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

my buddy mike rebuilt the input shaft and put on a 21 spline input to bolt to my transmission while i was at work. then we dropped the old transfer case out and looked to see what had to be cut. got the sawzall out and got to town on that junk. had a real big hole in the floor after a minute or so. did some test fits and cut a little more to squeeze it in and then bolted it up. the clocking on it great, its real high up, the lowest part on the jeep now is the crossmember. definately going to be redoing a lot of the passenger side floor to clear the driveshaft. this is how it sites tonight.

IMG_3879.jpg

ill be posting once i get some more progress. let me know what you guys think.

Seems like alot work just for a LP D44!

this is using what you got and what you can get. all i could get in decent condition and worth the money in the junky was this d44 with flat top knuckles and lock out hubs set up for leaf spring. we will see how it goes.

go eat moose hair and read the whole thread before you make a lame comment.

try pricing a HP dana 60 ford side drop.

he's got a np241 with SYE in with the deal and gained a bunch of ground clearance.

haha WOW. i'm sure rcp knows the price differences...he simply said it looked like a lot of WORK to get that axle in there, didn't say it wasn't a nice low cost.

and you're the one telling other people to not make lame comments.... :rolleyes:

Anyway. Have fun with the build, keep the thread updated, I'd like to see how it turns out :)

Well, I don't think he was trying to be disagreeable or anything, just pointing out the fact that it is a lot of work to get that axle under your jeep, and end up having a LP44. I'll be the first to say, my Jeep has an early bronco 44, also a LP. I'm fine with it though, because like the OP of this thread, I don't have a ton of money to be throwing at it... it's all good... just build and post progress pics :)

I look forward to seeing the build as well, but have to agree with RCP. Seems like a lot of work to be done to end up with an axle that is marginally stronger then what you already have in there. But an increase is an increase, just make sure to drop the money on alloy shafts, or else the work is for nothing.

Plus giving up coils for leaf springs,reworking the exhaust,reworking the steering/trackbar and a t-case with not that great of aftermarket support.

Plus giving up coils for leaf springs,reworking the exhaust,reworking the steering/trackbar and a t-case with not that great of aftermarket support.

Eh, it's custom. he obviously likes to fab, so I'm sure he'll come up with something that works reasonably well.

I tend to agree with you, I'd just polish the D30 myself, but he wants leafs and the axle has the perches on it.

leafs > coils for what we do, and if you have 63" long leafs, you can get plenty of flex.

no tracbar is needed, so thats a huge plus, the stock steering from the dodge will bolt up.

exhaust will no longer be taking a beating from the driver side drop yoke, and it will have a straight path to the exit with no bends.

what aftermarket support is needed for a t-case with 6 planetaries, a 1 1/4 inch chain, and comes stock without a slipyoke?

go build your own jeep.

take a chill pill, good sir. :)

Eh, it's custom. he obviously likes to fab, so I'm sure he'll come up with something that works reasonably well.

I tend to agree with you, I'd just polish the D30 myself, but he wants leafs and the axle has the perches on it.

custom is stupid if you're hindering performance and ability to mod.

I'm not taking sides on anything here, but doesn't it all boil down to personal preference? He said that leaves work better for what they do, and they're available. I personally am all about using what you've got and making the best of it. If what he's doing is unsafe or doesn't make ANY sense to anyone, then I can see the need for a couple well placed comments. But I really don't want to see this build thread become nothing but 15 pages of arguing over who's right or who's wrong, when everyone is right in their own respect. Let the build thread continue unhindered please.

all i really have to say is i live in florida.

i have found some hills and stuff here and there, but most of the offroading where im at is mud and deep water. im building this jeep to accomodate to the terrain we ride.

if i rode more hills/mountains i would definately fab up some coil suspension front and rear.

Back