• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket or OEM part?

EdFree

NAXJA Forum User
I've read that parts like the IAC motor should be purchased directly from Jeep as the aftermarket don't work as well, does this hold true for the TPS also? My local parts place carries BWD, Niehoff, and Standard for the TPS, but if it's better to go to the dealer for that too, I will. Thanks.

I've used BWD, NAPA, Murray, etc from them all. NAPA seems the best for aftermarket electronics, and about the cheapest, too, locally.

I've worked behind the counter selling BWD, Standard, and others, I prefer Echlin for the price and availability. I can't get as good a deal or even in stock with the local dealers.

I've used BWD, NAPA, Murray, etc from them all. NAPA seems the best for aftermarket electronics, and about the cheapest, too, locally.

I've worked behind the counter selling BWD, Standard, and others, I prefer Echlin for the price and availability. I can't get as good a deal or even in stock with the local dealers.
FWIW i work at NAPA, and the echlin brand was bought out by its largest competitor, Standard ignition, when the dana corp sold it off in 2004. basically the echlin brand is all the same as Standard now, but since NAPA buys it in such bulk, its available through us at a cheaper price.

not that this has anything to do with the OP... ;) NAPA is still the leader in quality, and now the pricing is starting to get much more competitive with the other "cheaper" parts stores. :cheers:

Worked for a few years at an advance during college. Used off the shelf parts for everything. Mostly BWD. Never had a problem.

-Napa is cool, but the hours for buying parts or trying to work there sucked. As a college student it would have been impossible for me to work there, they close an hour after I got out of class. Now I got the cushy gov. job and can go whenever I want

I've always used Borg-Warner sensors and they work beautifully. I don't think you should necessarily be stuck at the dealer for sensors, quality aftermarkets are typically just as good.

A lot of times aftermarket is better than dealer. Dealer parts fail just as often as any other part, or else there would be no market for the aftermarket because the dealer part would never fail. Or if they were worth the coin, they would not fail often enough to encourage people to spend less on aftermarket. The cheapest part on Ebay is 90%of the time worse than OEM, but at the same time the best aftermarket you can buy is 90% of the time much better than stock, and 90% of the time much cheaper than dealer.

Back