• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'89 XJ w/ factory remote start....

89XJPIG

NAXJA Forum User
I bought my XJ several years ago but never had the key fob to activate the electric door locks or factory remote start.

I'm not having any luck finding a fob on eBay and really don't want to pay $$$$$ through the dealership. Does anyone know of a source where I can purchase a fob that will also activate my remote start?

What makes you think you have remote start? It definitely was never a factory option, especially in the 80s, it was still just a pipedream then. You may have keyless entry but that would even be a stretch. At this point those remotes are going to be darn near impossible to find. If you want remote start, you're better off just having an aftermarket unit with keyless entry/remote start installed.

What makes you think you have remote start? It definitely was never a factory option, especially in the 80s, it was still just a pipedream then. You may have keyless entry but that would even be a stretch. At this point those remotes are going to be darn near impossible to find. If you want remote start, you're better off just having an aftermarket unit with keyless entry/remote start installed.

You're correct...wishful thinking on my part. What I have is the factory keyless entry system. Looking in my owners manual shows two very odd looking key fobs that came w/ that system.

If I should get lucky enough to find one of these fobs..would the dealership be able to re-program it for my vehicle?

Look at the top of the windshield in between the sun visors..you can see the factory IR receiver.

Jeeppics9808008.jpg

Look at the top of the windshield in between the sun visors..you can see the factory IR receiver.

Jeeppics9808008.jpg
You're correct, you do have factory keyless entry. It is going to be darn near impossible to find the fobs, but I would imagine the dealer could still reprogram them. You could also check around, you may be able to do it yourself assuming you find one. If you cannot find one, I personally would delete the IR box and just get an aftermarket keyless entry/remote start, especially being in PA you would thank yourself many times over for doing that.

I think it would be an awesome idea for you to restore the factory keyless entry. Just for bragging rights and the cool factor of having an 89 with the functional factory option. My 88 Limited had it at one time also. Two things come to mind. The first is the fun you are going to have on the phone and on the internet tracking down a functional key fob. (programming it should be routine at the dealer once you find one, but call the dealer and ask so you don't waste too much effort) The other thing is that thieves are able to easily defeat primitive radio remotes, but I have never heard of them even bothering with defeating IR remote systems, so that may be an added benefit. But not much of one, because a good thief will get your ride no matter what it has if he REALLY wants it. I would hide a kill switch somewhere if you want real security anyway.

I think it would be an awesome idea for you to restore the factory keyless entry. Just for bragging rights and the cool factor of having an 89 with the functional factory option. My 88 Limited had it at one time also. Two things come to mind. The first is the fun you are going to have on the phone and on the internet tracking down a functional key fob. (programming it should be routine at the dealer once you find one, but call the dealer and ask so you don't waste too much effort) The other thing is that thieves are able to easily defeat primitive radio remotes, but I have never heard of them even bothering with defeating IR remote systems, so that may be an added benefit. But not much of one, because a good thief will get your ride no matter what it has if he REALLY wants it. I would hide a kill switch somewhere if you want real security anyway.

Yeah just from the short bit of searching of done thus far I can tell I'm in for a fun time trying to track down a fob. Speaking of factory options.. I've yet to see an 80's Cherokee w/ more options than my 89' Laredo has.

Hmmm...could be an interesting thread to start seeing what all options everyone has/had on their early XJ's?

Yeah just from the short bit of searching of done thus far I can tell I'm in for a fun time trying to track down a fob. Speaking of factory options.. I've yet to see an 80's Cherokee w/ more options than my 89' Laredo has.

Hmmm...could be an interesting thread to start seeing what all options everyone has/had on their early XJ's?

They were packages... every Limited was fully loaded with every option. Not sure what the lerado package offered off the top of my head. I'd have to sort through all my bookmarks to find the different package options.

Here you go....

The trim levels offered were the base Cherokee, the sporty Chief, and the much more sumptuous Pioneer. The opulent Pioneer came complete with carpeting, additional instrument panel gauges, a rear window wiper/washer and a full center console. The Chief featured blackout exterior trim, white-lettered tires and hood striping.

For the second year of production, the Cherokee family expanded to include the Laredo trim level. The Laredo featured most of the same features of the Pioneer, but with additional upgrades such as most luxurious interior materials, alloy wheels, pinstripes and chrome grille treatment.

For the 1987 model year the Cherokee also received the option of two-tone paint, while the interior now showcased new door trim panels along with stowage bins.

Halfway through the model year, an all-new loaded-up Limited four-door model was introduced, with nearly every luxurious piece of fanciness in it. This limited model featured all of the bells and whistles as standard equipment that made the other models look staid in comparison.

Last edited:
Here you go....

The trim levels offered were the base Cherokee, the sporty Chief, and the much more sumptuous Pioneer. The opulent Pioneer came complete with carpeting, additional instrument panel gauges, a rear window wiper/washer and a full center console. The Chief featured blackout exterior trim, white-lettered tires and hood striping.

For the second year of production, the Cherokee family expanded to include the Laredo trim level. The Laredo featured most of the same features of the Pioneer, but with additional upgrades such as most luxurious interior materials, alloy wheels, pinstripes and chrome grille treatment.

For the 1987 model year the Cherokee also received the option of two-tone paint, while the interior now showcased new door trim panels along with stowage bins.

Halfway through the model year, an all-new loaded-up Limited four-door model was introduced, with nearly every luxurious piece of fanciness in it. This limited model featured all of the bells and whistles as standard equipment that made the other models look staid in comparison.

Very good stuff...thanks for posting! :thumbup:

Back