• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TREKS Y-link... LOUD!?

Big_JermsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Thursday was my first time to drive my jeep on the road since I installed the Y-link. It seemed real loud, I know that I now have flex joints where rubber bushings used to be but I had RE adj. LCA before and they weren't that loud. When I'm going slow on bumpy roads it's REALLY loud. I was wondering if this is normal or do I need to go back over everything? All the bolts are the same diameter aren't they? I did just install a detroit in the front but the jeep is clunking when going straight and it seems to be coming from right under me, where the arms meet the belly pan.

Actually I dont have the jam nut on the LCAs. with them on the arms were too long and my coils splrings were getting into my swaybar...
You can kinda see it in this picture, this is before i took off the nut.
jeepcomp007.jpg

Now I'm totally lost...you don't even have the jam nuts on???

Got a pic of underneath the XJ showing the arms? Are they all the way in or something?

Looks like you have more than enough lift for kit. You should be able to keep the jam nut on there.

The LCA are threaded in all the way except like a 1/2 turn so they would be angled the correct way. I have the jam nuts on the UCAs but not the lower arms. I originally had the jam nut on the lower arms, I put on the wheels and some of the weight of the jeep on the suspension when I did I was unable to connect the sway bar links because they were hitting the coils. When I removed the jam nuts it pulled the axle back far enough to let the sway bar clear the coils. But I don't see how this could be causing the clunking?

Well the LCAs are jumping around on the threads right now because nothing is keeping the two pieces of the arms (long threaded end at axle / coupling at bellypan) together. As you cycle the suspension, the arms want to twist (bushings absorb this usually) but in your case they just turn on the threads.

I had a definitive clunking beneath my feet with even one barely loose jam nut.

Well the LCAs are jumping around on the threads right now because nothing is keeping the two pieces of the arms (long threaded end at axle / coupling at bellypan) together. As you cycle the suspension, the arms want to twist (bushings absorb this usually) but in your case they just turn on the threads.

I had a definitive clunking beneath my feet with even one barely loose jam nut.

yep. and it's not just turning, either. as fine as those threads are, they still have some axial slop.

steps to make improvement:
1. reinstall jam nut
2. remove sway bar :rof:

no, you shouldn't need an alignment, but if it feels a little different i wouldn't be too surprised. it will be changing your caster, but in the direction you want.

on a side note, i didn't expect you to take the sway bar off, i was just making a joke. i didn't want to take mine off for a long time. you'd be surprised how good its road manners are with the sway bars off. happy wheeling.

i get little ticking noises when i turn someimes, it seems to come from where the pan meets the arms. prolly just need to crank down on the bolts again, but thats the only sound i get from mine.

oh, asp387, i used to live out in amherst, do you like the wheeling there?

do you like the wheeling there?

i sure do. lots of fun stuff that's real close. they just expanded the gutter too. i can't wait to go do the new stuff. i hear it's good.

i only went out to shuttesbury and did the powerlines. im trying to make it back there for a week this summer and just wheel all week long with my buddies

Actually I dont have the jam nut on the LCAs. with them on the arms were too long and my coils splrings were getting into my swaybar...
You can kinda see it in this picture, this is before i took off the nut.
jeepcomp007.jpg
I ruined my lower bds adjustables (six months old) by running a loose jam nut. I thought hell, better flex right?? well ya ,but it wore the threads out. I went to adjust them when I installed drop brackets and they would only turn a bit. Tried heat ,wax, fricken everything. so now I have procrap fixed lowers and a full set of brand new bds flex joints I cannot use until I buy new lowerd arms. keep them nuts cranked

You need the jam nuts to keep tension on the thread, to keep them from getting messed up.

Also, your axle needs to move forward some.

Back