• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TRE's, Steering and such...

xjh3

NAXJA Forum User
A couple years ago I was driving through the woods and a stump that I didn't see wreaked havok on my stock steering setup. I ended up buying Rusty's Tie Rod Conversion, which I am now regretting.

This weekend I adjusted my trackbar and was adjusting my steering accordingly to straighten out the steering wheel when I noticed something that seemed a bit unnerving. When I backed off one of the jam nuts, I noticed that that TRE could move inside the tubing, much like when you place a bolt that is slightly too small inside a nut and it can move just a tad. I'm guessing it isn't, but is this by any chance normal?

I did a little research and found the Rugged Ridge setup that seemed much beefier and better priced. However, I read of people saying they had a 1/4 turn of play in their steering wheel... The Rusty's seems similar to me but I have no where near that much. Maybe I should look into ZJ steering?

How about the Rock Krawler setup? I've searched but seem to not be able to find a straight answer on whether this requires any modification like removing sway bar brackets?

Back