• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

draglink flip....? has anyone else tried this?

100_3456.jpg

This is on XJeepers build, I like the idea, I already have the Goferit tie rod flip on the driver side. I know he is running the vanco big brake kit, so his outers are a little different than mine. It seems he cut the draglink, then weled a tube insert to some tube, and then cut the draglink to length, and rewelded it.

I hope it's a good weld!! ...never heard of anyone doing that before though, personally...

I did this setup on my XJ using the right hand drive draglink, it works great now that the goferrit inserts are gone! The goferrit inserts require you to drill out your knuckles and then weld the inserts in, I have found the fit is much to sloppy. The inserts ended up hollowing out my knuckles. I had a local guy on this forum machine a insert made from chromoly and then machine my knuckle to fit them perfectly. Now my steering is tight and works great. The angles are much better and the steering is above the axle!

The goferrit inserts are mild steel and known to crack, they have not lasted on any rig I know of. They almost ruined my steering knuckles.

There is a company called HM engineering that makes chromoly ones and there is also a guy here on the forum who will do it right and custom machine a set of knuckles to the size of the inserts.

The fisrt pic is not of my jeep, Its Xjeeper on this forum. I noticed this on his build thread and thought it looked cool and a good idea for a higher steering. Ideas about steering have been going through my head as I have been contemplating building either a D44 which I can't find one I like, or going to something better for steering on my D30. I have looked at tera high steer arms, and wj arms...?who else makes hight steer arms for arms for a 30, all I need is a passenger side arm, i can build the steering linkage. Or I just need to build a D44...Thanks continue to discuss.

just ran across this thread and thought I would let anyone who is interested in the OTK steering know im the one that machine's the knuckels and machines the inserts I've done 5 rigs with no problems yet

i've read go-jeeps writeup on this and still have a few questions.
i'll be building my hp d30 soon but only have 4.5" of lift. Currently i have the grand cherokee steering and the RE HD trac bar and mount.
Is there any way to have everything welded up and in place before i put the axle in? Im guessing that i'll need the jks over the axle trac bar mount, new swar bar mounts welded in (but where?) and to do something with steering stabilizer. My question is how to measure angles of everything before its in? Or does it just work? I'll have access to a welder while building the axle, but not when i pick it up to put it in if that makes sense.

a little off subject here but how do you like your antirock?

Since the photo is of my rig.........
I like it, adds stability offroad and makes the rear flex more. It's a daily driver, with nice on-road manners.

As for the welds on the drag link/sleeved tube, there are also plug welds that you don't see.....it's plenty strong.

In retrospect, I like the WJ steering setup better for the angles and off the shelf replacement parts. I may eventually wind up going that route, but the Vanco brakes/modified knuckles are working fine with the modified Currie steering.

Last edited:
Back