• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced my Radiator yesterday

newjeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
Replaced my rad yesterday on my 99 XJ. Went slow at first cause I had some rusted bolt issues. Later found I would not be using those bolts again. It took me around 3.5 hours. Mostly because I was unorganized and could not find my tools. Also changed out my thrmostat. Heat is blowing hot hot hot now. I saw some areas under my Jeep this morning where there are spots of rad fluid on the driveway.. I am hoping this is just old fluid that is still stuck in the engine bay and frame. It got real messy after I took the bottom hose off. I will give it a few days before I go looking for another leak.

I put a new radiator in my 97 and moved the 97 HD radiator to my 96 which had a leaking seam in the OEM crimped on plastic reservoir. Glad to get that piece of junk out of the Jeep! Now I can swap a radiator pretty darn quick!

may be a stupid question, but did you tighten the drain plug all the way??

The first time I ever replaced a radiator was the first day I got the jeep. Did it in a cracker barrel parking lot right after buying the car. I dont know why I went for one that needed work :(

That's quite possible. However,you should hose off everything and start relatively clean.

Did you remember to remove the over flow bottle and give it a good cleaning with a sock on a stick and fantastic or 409 or whatever ? You really need to get that old gunk out of there...

Did you remember to remove the over flow bottle and give it a good cleaning with a sock on a stick and fantastic or 409 or whatever ? You really need to get that old gunk out of there...

I've used a handful of nuts, bolts and small stones with some simple green to clean the crud and stop leak out of them before. It works like a charm, just dump em in and shake it up.

~Alex

I've used a handful of nuts, bolts and small stones with some simple green to clean the crud and stop leak out of them before. It works like a charm, just dump em in and shake it up.

~Alex

Not only is that a good idea, but it sound like fun to boot:laugh:

Sock on a stick for cleaning out coolant reservoir. Nice idea Rich......:idea:

Sock on a stick for cleaning out coolant reservoir. Nice idea Rich......:idea:

Gotta do something with the worn out heavy cotton socks I prefer, hate to throw stuff out...

My '87 XJ with 260k on it had the original radiator, said AMC on the top.. it had a small pin hole in the side of the brass tank that would only leak when really hot.. I have a parts '89 XJ that had a radiator that looked new. I swapped it in.. as soon as I reved the motor coolant sprayed out of the core! :-( Used parts aren't always good parts :-( I asume that's what lead to the blown motor that as in the '89 when I bought it. I think I'll try to have one of the two repaired... probably cheaper than a new one.. they are both brass.

Back