• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HP D44 narrowed or different rim backspacing?

tonofclay2

NAXJA Forum User
After wheeling my XJ with 33's that have lots of tread left, I got the bigger tire fever. Which then leads to axle strength, which then leads to a front D44 conversion.

I have read all the articles about doing the ole' switheroo, narrowing it, welding.....etc etc. BUT if I'm not mistaken couldn't you just change the CA mounts and get a rim with more backspacing?

I have NO experience with more than XJ axles, so please correct me!

IMO, if you have a wider axle why narrow it? Get another one to match for the front/rear and then you get a wider foot print, and lower your COG.

How big of tire are you trying to go?

If you want big tires 36+ and have a heavy right foot the 44 wont last. Might as well polish the D30. I build a HP D44, narrowed to Waggy width, cromo shafts, ARB, Hi steer, etc and wish I had gone and installed a stock Dana 60 or saved my lunch money and raped the couch for a 609.

To answer your question, you could get a wider axle and run deep back spacing but this will stick your hubs out beyond the outside of the rim/tire which will lead you to smacking them on the world. I have 15x10 rims with 4" of backspacing and 35x12.50s and still manage to nick up my hubs and they are recessed about an inch or so from the outside of the rim/tire.

AARON

I can vouch for smashing hubs... a friend of mine ran 60s with H1 wheels for quite a while, and it certainly took a toll on his poor Warns....

IMO, if you have a wider axle why narrow it? Get another one to match for the front/rear and then you get a wider foot print, and lower your COG.

How big of tire are you trying to go?

Ya I could get a matching axle but I already put a hefty amount of mullah into my rear XJ D44 so not really wanting to have to change it.

Don't a lot of other things change when you have full size axles? I think the pumpkin location up front would be interesting...the fenders would have to be trimmed to the max...thats all I can think of.

I'm wanting to go with 37's but now I'm wondering if I should just be content with 35's. My buddy is running 35's with a super35 with ARB and trussed 30 with tru-trac and ha wheeled every serious trail in CA, the 'con, Foryde Ice, etc...He claims you just can't compare the diff clearance to anything else. I guess he has a point, bigger tires = bigger diff, strengthened small shafts with moderate tires may have better clearance.

I dunno maybe I'm getting a little over my head. I was thinking of going with chromo shafts and an ARB to run the 37's, diddo with the rear 44(super44 kit??) I don't really have a heavy foot but like to get crazy in the sand!!! But who has broke anything in the sand?

Then again a super 30 that is trussed etc can do very well.

I have lots of time to debate this, even if I do a change over it won't be until summer next year, after school is over.

i went out and got me a hp44 and 9" combo. But now im thinking that i should have gotten a d60 for the front....but not 100% on that either just yet

I'm wanting to go with 37's but now I'm wondering if I should just be content with 35's. My buddy is running 35's with a super35 with ARB and trussed 30 with tru-trac and ha wheeled every serious trail in CA, the 'con, Foryde Ice, etc...He claims you just can't compare the diff clearance to anything else. I guess he has a point, bigger tires = bigger diff, strengthened small shafts with moderate tires may have better clearance.

I've run Rubicon, Fordyce, Barrett Lake, a couple trails in Johnson Valley, a couple in Moab, among others, with 35s on an HP30 and an XJ D44 rear, no problems ever. Geared, alloys, locked. And I've never wanted to be wider.

I would stick with the full width of the axle. You can probably sell the XJ 44 for a decent amount of money hat could be recouped for your rear full width. We broke one shaft with bigger than 35 inch tires and a heavy foot on a 44 but it turns out, we screwed up installing the ball joints in the C's and the joint came loose which caused the shaft to snap.

Everybody has there stories of how a 44 broke or din't break but it still all comes down to you and your right foot!

Back