• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with aftermarket lights, where to tap for power...

xL8 APEKSx

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I've got some cheap-ass 55w lights that I wanted to wire up. I have the grounds under control already.

I'm wondering about current draw, and where/how to tap in for power. I know there's a few open fuses on the fuse block. Should I try to use one of these, and if so, how?

The on/off switch is on the panel with the gear selector. I was going to run a power lead from the fuse block (passenger kick panel) to the gear selector. What's the "proper" way to wire it into the fuse block? I know I could ghetto-rig it, and sandwich a frayed end of bare wire under a fuse, but I'd rather not do that. What's the "correct" way?!

As for current draw...55w / 12v = ~4.6 amps per light, correct? So if i wired them separate, 5 or 7.5 amp fuses should work, or if I wired them together, 10 or 15 amp fuses should work. Is this correct?

Help me. My head hurts. :cry:

yes. run power thru a relay as close to the battery as possible, and power the relay off the fuse block in cab where your switch is. come by andy's tomorrow and i'll lay it out for ya, i even have all the stuff to hook it up.

Quick figuring for current draw...

How many lights and how many watts per light? I'm assuming 2 @ 55W each.

2x55W = 110W. 110W/12VDC (nominal) = 9-1/6A Use a 10A fuse.

This actually gives you a slightly high number for current (the 12VDC "nominal" is actually 13.5-14.0VDC in operation...) but that's just an inbuilt safety factor.

cf: Ohm's Law and Watt's Law - if you're going to do anything more complex than running a new bit of wire to repair a circuit, you should know both of those equations cold.

yes. run power thru a relay as close to the battery as possible, and power the relay off the fuse block in cab where your switch is. come by andy's tomorrow and i'll lay it out for ya, i even have all the stuff to hook it up.

Shit, thanks man! I absolutely HATE electrics. Ugh. And trying to wedge crap through firewalls and dashboards. Double ugh. I really need to take a DC theory class, maybe I wouldn't be so intimidated.

What time are you gonna be over at Andy's?

Last edited:
Back