• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thoughts on modified AJ Offroad bumper?

Mudderoy

NAXJA Forum User
I took the "SlikRok Winch Bumper" and modified it digitally, then stuck it on a image of my XJ. I'm not sure if I got the sizing correct. Anyway do you guys see any problem with this? I made it larger so I could get the OEM driving lights in the bumper.

Here is the SlikRok Winch Bumper from AJ's website.

AJsBumper.jpg

Here is my digitally modified version..

Jeep_Future_Bumper.jpg

If I go with this, and AJ says he can do it, it would be flat black, then painted OEM poppy red later.

I'm thinking at least two light tabs, maybe four.

I don't know the spacing available behind and inside the bumper but the way you modified it looks like it will affect approach angle on the sides and makes it look more like an ARB Bullbar. Instead of putting them there and extending it down why not have him mold in a couple of places in the middle under where the winch goes. Already plenty of room there from the get go it looks and wouldn't change the ends so drastically.

I don't know the spacing available behind and inside the bumper but the way you modified it looks like it will affect approach angle on the sides and makes it look more like an ARB Bullbar. Instead of putting them there and extending it down why not have him mold in a couple of places in the middle under where the winch goes. Already plenty of room there from the get go it looks and wouldn't change the ends so drastically.

The ARB Bull Bar was my choice for a long time, so you are correct in the direction I was going with this.

I am more concerned with bumper integrity and front end protection than approach angle. I'm assuming that approach angle is more important for rock climbing. Something big would have to be chasing me before I'd take my XJ on the rocks. Now if I had a beater with a roll bar, sure, I think it would be fun.

Here is a side view of the unmodified bumper.

AJsBumper1.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't make the bumper larger to accomodate those lights. It looks like a fat lip now. Like dave92 said put them under the winch. Have him make cutouts with mounting tabs on the inside of the bumper. Then you can keep his sleek look and have your internal mounted lights. I don't like the ARB Bullbar and I think what you did makes it look similar to it...althought it's not a sheerface like the bullbar but it's close.

Oh...and one more piece of advice, photoshop that bumper to match the body color in a pic before you paint it. I've seen two red XJ's with the bumpers painted to match and it was hideous. The bumpers are too big to be red. I know black is the standard but it looks better. Of course, that's just my opinion, do whatever you like!

Oh...and one more piece of advice, photoshop that bumper to match the body color in a pic before you paint it. I've seen two red XJ's with the bumpers painted to match and it was hideous. The bumpers are too big to be red. I know black is the standard but it looks better. Of course, that's just my opinion, do whatever you like!

No I appricate all the thoughts, that's why I put this on here. No problem. Here is a bumper painted red, in fact I'd like to know who makes this bumper.

bumper.jpg

That bumper will be a good bit smaller trust me. Resize it, go ahead and match the colr, and see how you like it them.

Yeah I wish he had a picture of it ON an XJ. I'm guessing at the size.

the dimensions are a little off (partially because the original picture was taken on an angle). just a little wider than it should be on your Jeep.

His bumpers are usually pretty short, here are a couple shots of the standard Slikrok bumper on my XJ.

main.php

main.php

it should be fairly simple to add material under the bumper, though. it's open behind the lower face, so adding the lights should be easy. I'd opt for something brighter, though. Stock fog lights aren't really worth the trouble.

As visible on my bumper, he usually adds two tabs on top of the winch guard.

Have you priced that red paint yet? My wife has an 03 Neon that is Poppy Flame Red and the paint is EXPENSIVE. It was like $85 wholesale for 1 pint of that red paint. My body shop friend said its the most expensive paint he has come accross in a long time. I guess if you don't get on the rocks the paint will last.

Have you priced that red paint yet? My wife has an 03 Neon that is Poppy Flame Red and the paint is EXPENSIVE. It was like $85 wholesale for 1 pint of that red paint. My body shop friend said its the most expensive paint he has come accross in a long time. I guess if you don't get on the rocks the paint will last.

Originally I wanted to paint each new add on as I got it. The guy that did the body repair and paint on my XJ told me how expensive the paint is and very hard to match up the red, so he recommended I wait and paint everything at one time. So everything is black, until I have everything then it gets painted red.

That bumper you posted looks good. I think what I don't like is when it has a hoop on it and that's red too. I don't know why, but it just makes it look funny. I like that Hanson bumper...but it's a little pricey!

Back