• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes=poopy

xjrider95

NAXJA Forum User
my brakes started actin up today.. i noticed this when i was doin 45 and i put the brake pedal on the floor and felt no pressure
icon_eek.gif

once on the floor, i put it in neutral and stood on the pedal to stop for traffic when making a left turn at an intersection. i got it home safe, bled all four brakes, topped off fluids,etc. and still no pressure.
icon_mad.gif

my best guess is the master cylinder. there are NO spots of leaking anywhere, not on the ground, not under the dash by the pedal, not under the master cylinder.
it has to be the m.c. right?

You might try checking the adjustment of the rear brake shoes. If they are too far away from the drum you will lose your pedal, I just adjusted mine today and it made a big difference in how the pedal felt.

Taylor

I have to disagree with that. Even with unadjusted rear drums he should still have about half of his pedal travel intact. Unless the fronts are severely screwed up too. How old are the wheel cylinders and calipers? I replaced all of mine, my calipers were mostly good but each wheel cylinder in the rear had one piston that was seized. Never seen something like that before! Even then I had good pedal feel but the rears were wearing quick..........

I doubt it's the rear brake adjuster, based on his description. That would manifest as a degradation over time, not an immediate change as a general rule.

If you don't have a fluid leak, I'd also start with the master cylinder.

Probably around $70 (assuming you have a 95 XJ.)

It's not particularly hard, but it can be a little tedious. Bench bleed the m/c, mount it, and bleed all 4 brakes.

ok i'll look up bench bleeding cuz im unsure how to do it exactly, and since im a "noob" if i ask how to, everyone will just tell me how to use the search button :spin1:

The last M/C I bought had good instructions for bench bleeding right in the box. All it takes is a vice (or some other place to hold the M/C on the bench,) a couple of plastic adapters and a few inches of plastic tubing.

Back