• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differential Install question

XJ[4x4]77

NAXJA Forum User
So im putting my lockright locker in and i cant seem to get my carrier bearings all the way seated into the centersection of my axle. any advice on how to get these suckers in? i have heard you need a case spreader but napa is closed and im a ways off from any 4x4 shop. it looks like the outer race of the carrier bearings is hitting the rear section of the axle tube inside my center section. any healp is greatly appreciated!

man ive been bangin on it with a zero blow mallet and cant seem to get it all the way seated in. you know anything abou tthe case spreader tool?

If you can't get it in with a mallet, then it must not be seated properly, or you have the races screwed up. Did you keep track of everything?

What axle? I know that on my d44, I had to first get the carrier past an initial point, then it seamed like it was a little loose and would slide in easy, then I had to seat it down.

Use a bigger mallet. 3lb deadblow works great, 1lb doesn't. If it's a D44, good luck, if it's properly preloaded, it takes a case spreader or lots of force to get it back in.

it was in my hp30 in the front and i got it in after about an hour of pounding on it with a rubber mallet and a BFH with a wood block. i took a test run and everything seems to be running smooth! got the mesh right and everything.

thanks for the help guys

Back