• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4 conversion

bigfrd8

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '92 XJ 4x4 300,00 miles all factory. It is totally wore out and used up. I have a 96 XJ 2x4 with 150,00 on it and in really good shape. How bad would it be to convert the 2x4 to 4x4. I know i will need to have the tail shaft off the trans and the transfer case, front end, and so on. But will it all bolt back together on the 2x4 or is there little differences that would make it not worth it.

You might be better off just to swap the tranny. Pull the pan and check for sparklies and burn oil first.

Thanks for the reply. My old trans is slipping under a load when fisrt taking off, so i believe it is toast. Can the short shaft be swaped with out taking the tranny apart.

Thanks for the reply. My old trans is slipping under a load when fisrt taking off, so i believe it is toast. Can the short shaft be swaped with out taking the tranny apart.
Nope!

NP231 from the same year would be best but I don't remember when they beefed the spline count up on the input shaft maybe someone else could answer that one but definitely the same year -tcase as the vehicle it is goin into or newer.

The output shaft of the trans on the 96 has a different spline count from the 92 so the input shaft on the 92 t-case won't match the 96 trans so you need a 96 or newer t-case. There may be a year or 2 older t-case that may work but I am not sure when they beefed up the t-case input shaft spline count.

Either way i still have to put a short shaft in the trans. It is a 2 wheel drive trans now so i will have to change the tail shaft and put in a short out-put shaft. I may see if i can trade the 2 wheel trans for a rebuild on the 4x4 trans and swap out trans and t-case both. That would be the easy way out anyway.

Thanks for the replys. New member and love this site!!!!

Back