• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Constantly squealing

IRPancake

NAXJA Forum User
I just recently fixed the overheating issue (of course the gasket supplied seems to suck complete ass and its now dripping, so now I get to redo that) anyways, I thought the squealing was a belt issue, so I replaced it, still squealed. It was overheating and was squealing, and after replacing the waterpump seemed to go away. Now its squealing again, constantly. I've tried adjusting tension, belt dression, everything, it wont go away. Is this ANOTHER accesory I have to replace??

I know the balancer is bad (or on its way) but didn't think it would be causing the squealing as bad as it is. The link said "no matches". Thanks for the reply, looks like another fun day under the hood

First thing to try is too scrub down your belt and pulleys with hot soapy water, then rise, then repeat. Coolant can make them squeal, coolant is basically suger and is sticky. Hot soapy water also does a decent job of taking most of the oil off the belts.
Rubbing your belt down with a quality silicon (for rubber, read the destructions) can also help, a soft belt often squeals less than a hard belt.
You may also want to spin all your pulley by hand, just to make sure a bearing isn't freezing up someplace.
The anti squeal spray sold at many auto parts places, has always made mine worse, not better. The stuff is often sticky like coolant.
Pulleys clean, belt soft, has always cured my squeals, along with proper tension.

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to have to remove the water pump again because the gasket they supplied is leaking, so I'll give them a good scrubbing when I have it all apart again. Theres a buildup of what looks like rubber in between the grooves, but I can't see well from above the engine. The belt that was on before it looked decent, and I just put a new one on...I'm sort of hoping not to mess with the harmonic balancer, even though I know its not in the best condition. Any way to remove that without one of those pullers? (belt tension wouldn't be enough would it?)

last time I tightened the belt down good the alternator blew lol. I'm fairly sure its the harmonic balancer, is wobbles a little bit...I'm getting a "new" (from the junkyard :p) one in the next couple days so we'll see if that solves the problem.

Not rediculously tight. I have yet to buy one of those Krick-Kit tensioning "helpers" but I'd have to say that's probably the best way to go.

Over tight and you'll put alot of stress on your accessories' bearings and the belt itself!

I just tightened until there was no squeal left. It was definitely a lot tighter than I though it'd need to be (ridiculously tight).

Back