• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Symptoms of a bad front axle u-joint

mbogosia

NAXJA Forum User
I have a noise/vibration that I just can't figure out. I noticed that with my front driveshaft out and the front jacked that when I rotate the front yoke there is a clicking/clanking coming from the front passenger u-joint. Obviously there is an issue there. When driving with the front driveshaft out I am hearing a noise only when I apply the gas. Is it possible this is the front u-joint even though the front driveshaft is not in? Why is it making noise only under load?

Here is a better test of the wheel joints.

Front end on stands please, Jeep=Off.

With the Jeep in 2WD and in park/gear.

Lay in front of the vehicle so you can clearly see a wheel joint.
Grab the tire nearest that joint and wiggle it while observing the two yokes on the wheel joint.

Is there a delay in moving the inner shaft when you move the outer shaft (wheel)? If there is, the joint is toast.

Does the joint make noise when you wiggle the wheel? If it does, the joint is bad.

U-Joints have weird symptoms. I had a Ford PU that would make a squeek while backing up, but not going forward. It was a U-Joint in the main drive line.

HTH

Okay, good info. After looking at it and moving the wheel I think the joint is toast. Will it fix my problem? I'm not sure, but I might as well eliminate it for as cheap as it is.

Back