• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1993 xj no start

maybe2fast

NAXJA Forum User
Long story that I am going to try to make short

1993 xj
needed new radiator
put in ford injectors
was having idle problems (before the injectors)
injectors were not to cure idle problem
check engine light
let it warm up in garage to charge battery and get cooling system warm
got it warm and shut it off. Went back into the house to watch the Red Wings loose to the Canadians...:sure:

went back out to the garage to check level of coolant and finish up for the night because it was getting late. Went to start the XJ and it does nothing...
No starter click, the coolant gauge goes all the way to hot while the key is in the crank position and goes to the correct reading when in the run position. The headlights are an okay brightness, telling me the battery is in okay charge. Okay charge at least to click the starter solenoid...right?

What is wrong with this XJ???

Some things to try:

Measure voltage of battery with a meter
Remove and clean battery cables and posts; connections seem suspect here
Tap on the starter itself with a rubber mallet if #1 checks out and #2 complete

try jumping from another vehicle.

That's what I had to do for about a week...finally after I went wheeling she came back working. Although, I had put a new CPS in prior to the trip (didn't work at first...)

~Scott

So lot's of manual trans vehicles have the equivalent of the NSS on the clutch pedal so that you can't start it without having the clutch depressed. Did you always have to push the clutch down to start it or could you also start it in neutral before without holding the clutch down? You can run a wire to jump around the clutch safety switch, but then you have to be VERY cautious about turning the key when it's in gear. (You could run somebody over.) Sometime the switches get bumped or your foot could knock the wire off the switch.

I am aware of the clutch depression switch and tried exercising the clutch while trying to start it. When I get back over there I will try the bypass. This was my first thought because the headlights are pretty bright. I will hook my Jeep up to this thing just to be sure of the battery and try to get this thing going!

Back