• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Differences between '88 & '95 AW4/242's?

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
My jeep is '95 with AW4/242, and I just bought a spare set up (both) from a guy pretty cheap ($50), but it's from a '88. I thought these would be the same all around, but read a post that said the spline count changed in '89.

Is this correct? I bought it mostly for the 242, because mine is questionable right now. But if the spline count is different, I guess it won't swap.

Anyone know for sure?

Yeah it will work if you keep the corresponding t-case with it's tranny. Swap everything else over (tv cable, sensors, etc.). You will be 'downgrading' as far as strength (23 to 21 spline) but it should be fine for a daily driver.

take the T-case input gear from your new one and put it in the old 242.
Now it will bolt up to your newer trans.
Whileyou're at it, might want to consider a new chain for it.

Thanks.

So the splines are different, but everything else will swap over. I should have researched this better before buying it, because I got it for a spare due to issues with mine. Dropped rear DL and turned output shaft by hand back and forth a little. Well it felt 'rough,' or gritty. Not smooth. Wanted to drop it to work on it, and put in the other... Both T-cases have over 200k on them.

Good to know that I can swap input gears. And a new chain is a good idea. I also need to sye one of them.

Do you know for sure which year the spline count went from 21 to 23?

Back